I was wondering if i can remove the mirena on my own because its driving me crazy. I developed a smell that the clinic said was nothing /no infection and my husband and i notice it during sex .VERY EMBARASSING and there are plenty of other bad changes going on since i got it . The reason i want to do it myself is because the clinic in my town is always booked and i even get up and start calling the minute they are open and still no appointment for weeks now. Please help :'(

Was wondering the same thing! Wonder if it hurts as bad as gettin
it put in!? I'm afraid I will pull my insides
out!!

Please do not remove Mirena at home. You could puncture your uterus and render yourself infertile. Please let your doctor to remove it. It is worth the wait.

SillySarah82, I was going through exactly the same thing as you, I had mine in for about 16 months. Put on about 10 or more pounds, mood swings [used to get angry really quickly!], constant stomach pains [would be in bed for 1 or 2 days a week with painkillers], feeling sluggish, pregnant brain [lose concentration], indigestion, diarrhea, constipation. You name it!! After reading about self removal online from 100's of women who self-removed their Mirenas, I got the courage to do it myself. Clinics were charging anywhere from $175 to $400 [!!!] to do the same thing I just did. It came out easily and slipped out smoother than a tampon! And now it is where it belongs! In the TRASH can. NEVER AGAIN!!! You would know if it was embedded in your uterus [won't easily come out] or if it perforates your uterus [very unlikely as it is soooo tiny!] you will definitely feel it when you tug. There are slight period cramps + bleeding that come after the removal - it's normal. The body is readjusting itself back to normal. Hope that helps! 

I know some ppl have removed it on their own without any problems, but I highly recommend you let a professional do it for you. If you have to fake the worst abdominal pain in your life to get it removed at the ER if the clinics are all booked up, do that. Say that you have an IUD in that is causing you massive pain...and the ER will remove it. It's not a true emergency of course, but heck, they are there for a reason, and if it's not busy at all at the Emergency Room, you can get it out there. You'll wanna make sure it gets removed completely, that you didn't tear anything, etc etc. How did it turn out for you. This was a year ago.

will the ER remove my IUD i have no health insurance

some will remove it but when i went to the er where i live they refused

I'm not sure if uve had it removed by now or not but I ran into the same problem. It was driving me crazy and I had no insurance :( I said screw it an pulled it out myself. There slight cramping when pulling it out but what a relieve lol the hardest part is grabbing the strings but let tell u that sometimes the strings are stuck together and feel like 1. Takes about 5 mins or less an ur done, problem solved! Hope this helps anyone going thru this, best of luck :)

I removed mine myself, very easy, just went to the Mirena website for physicians and read what to do. Basically just pull gently and slowly. Probably is still best to see a physician due to possible complications

I decided this day was the day after only 2 weeks on the Mirena. Hunger, hunger, hunger! 10 pounds already! My doctor will see me in 2 months... Simple math: 5 pounds a week for 8 weeks= 40 pounds to come...no way!So I tried. But after 10 minutes, I still hadn't found the string. On day 4, I had checked it as per my dotor's orders. But today, no luck.

My point of view is: wash your hands carefully. Pull the string gently. If it comes, it comes. If there is resistance, stop and wait for your doctor's appointment.

Thanks for your info. I removed mine just now with no problem. I've only had it for 3 wks so that may also be a contributing factor.

I highly do not recommend faking ANYTHING in an ER. They will do everything they can for the pain and think your a narcotics seeker...and they most likely will not remove your IUD if it's not medically necessary

I removed mine myself. It was making me crazy and my doc couldn't get me in for months. It was simple actually.

No I tried that too.... They said all the issues I was having had nothing to do with the Mirena which is a lie!!! Natural medicine from now on for me...

Hi i removed mine today it was easy but i was wondering if anyone had any skin on the iud after removal it looked like a tiny pice if skin when i removed it i just want to make sure if this is normal or not