I've had my Mirena for a little over a year now. Right away in the beginning, when my husband and I would have intercourse, he said the string would poke the head of his penis. Apparently it's pretty painful and feels like tiny needles poking it. I went back to see my doctor about the problem and he trimmed the string, thinking maybe it was a little to long and that's the problem and also to give it more time, it'll soften. It helped, but still from time to time he is still getting poked. Has anyone had this problem or have any advice to give us?

Yes, I have had my Mirena for a little over a year, but only recently did my boyfriend say he could feel the strings. I freaked out and we havent had sex all week... im so scared to hurt him!

Any ideas? trimming seems like a bad idea, and I can only think that its stay in and poke him or take it out and search for something else... but I love my mirena IUD :-(

I'm having the same problem with the strings hurting my husband. I can tell because he does not goes as deep. I guess I'll finally call my doctor Monday, but was hoping to see what others have experienced. Good to know that it is a problem, I thought maybe he was crazy.

I've had Mirena in for 8 months and now it is stuck inside my uterus! ! When i first got it in it poked my husband in the head of the penus so we went to the doctor they took a look and said everything looked okay. 8-| A month or so after my string fell off and now when i get it out i have to have a surgical procedure! Sure wish someone had told me this kind of stuff before they inserted it >:(

Go back to the dr. Ask that it be repositioned or if they can cut the strings. Same thing happened here and the strings were cut. Problem solved. Now if I can only get the emotinal side of this ok. I am really thinking of getting this removed.

I had a Mirena placed in 2004 (after the birth of my 3rd child) several months later, I was told that it had fell out. I decided to have my tubes tied, well low an behold, my IUD was embedded in my uterus....not to mention I have been taking birth control pills daily for almost 4 years. Needless to say I am pissed off. I have been having almost all of the negative effects that are listed, and my pcp thought I was a hypochondriac. GET IT OUT NOW! Now I have to have a partial hysterectomy. :-S

I had the Mirena put in about 18 months ago and had a problem with the string when having intercourse with my husband. The doc trim the string and now its soo short its stuck. Now I will need a surgical procedure to get it out. Is it worth getting it?????

When you say is it worth getting it, do you mean is it worth getting the IUD or is it worth getting the surgery to have it removed? I think that I would probably feel most comfortable without it in me (assuming I could even get an IUD :-)) but it's really up to your comfort level. Please keep us posted and let me know what you've decided to do.

Hello everyone, I have had the Mirena in for about a year now, and I have not had any periods at all. So when I went in for my pap, I ask the dr to check and see if the mirena was still there, she couldn't find it, so she gave me an ultrasound to make sure it was there, it was the strings are just missing. So I asked them to take the darn thing out. Well they couldn't, she said I would have to go to the original dorctor that put it in and get it out. They never told me they would have to do surgury to do so! OMG I am freaking out. Not only am I still concerned about how I am going to get this thing out of me, I am also concerned about how am I to know if I am pregnaunt?? This sux... I wish I never would have gotten this thing. But I have two little girls and last year I had a miscariage, so I just wanted good birth control until my husband and I got over our loss. Now look at what a mess this is.

I have had the mirena for about 6 months now and have been fine with it no real problems. However when my husband and I have intercourse i cant find the string for a few days, its like it gets twisted up or pushed up into my uterus, I give it a little bit to show back up again and it always does so i dont put to much thought into it. Has anyone else had this problem?? Its nerve racking to wonder, did it come out, has it been out since before we did anything, could i be pregnant now, and if i am i start contemplating the methods of killing him. Either way I am practically period less, I have occasional cramping around that time of the month, which i will gladly deal with if it means no more blood, I am relatively pleased and as far as if the IUD has to be surgically removed so be it I have already had two c-sections, Im pretty sure i will be fine. ;-) I hope anyways.

Hi there, my understanding with a mirena ring like that is pretty expected to have the problems that you're talking about. I'm sorry to hear that it causes you so much distress though! Have you considered going with something other than an IUD? Like perhaps using birth control pills instead? Or is there a reason why you can't or won't? Let me know okay?

i have had my IUD for a little over 2 yrs an i love not having to worry about remembering to take a pill everyday or taking a shot that makes you big as a house ect... but there are also things i hate so much i go back an forth about having it removed. there is no way i can take a chance on having another child but also some of the things i have learned about my IUD by research has kinda got me scared!!! not to mention how scared them dang strings have made my partner. i have heard ppl say to go have them trimmed but what about the woman who said they cut them to short an where not able to remove them but by surgery? an i know this may sound weird but i have noticed a lot of women talking about how they cant find or feel their string but i have never had a problem finding mine in fact one day while checking for mt string it seemed that it was longer than it had been,so much longer that i questioned if i could see it so i tried an i was able to see 2 thin black strings. ( maybe its just how i was positioned)

Hi Everyone,

This past week has been really weird for me. I've had a bit of nausea, sensitive breasts and I've been urinating more frequently. My husband thinks I'm pregnant..... I've had the Mirena in just about 3 yrs now. I had it put in right after my first son, then removed to conceive again and then replaced after my second son who will be 3 this month. I felt for my strings tonight and they seem much longer then ever before!!! Has this ever happened to anyone? Could it have moved or become dislodged and i AM PREGNANT???? I don't know if I should call my Midwife or not. I'm probably going to take a PG test tomorrow just to see......

Hi there, I'm not entirely sure what that means but I don't think that it's a cause for alarm. Have you taken a pregnancy test? Can you tell me what it turned out to be? Thanks!

i had to get mine cut twice before my man couldnt feel it anymore