I discovered that I have I guess what you call external hemorrhoid.
Something you can see and it seems to be a little hard and swollen. I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to get get ride of this by myself, I am really embarassed and do not want to go see my dr. Should I try something like preparation h or something ?

Don't be embarrassed. This problem is very common and your doctor will be very matter of fact - remember he or she will have seen this hundreds of times before. Although creams and gels like preparation H can help with the pain and irritation they will not cure the problem and usually it will only get worse with time. I suffered for 20 years and in the end I had to have surgery to remove them. This was painful but not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be. However, surgery is the last resort and mine was a very severe case. They can often be shrunk away by a simple injection or they can be banded or clipped which cuts off the blood supply so that they shrivel up. Mine used to bleed badly every time I went to the toilet and after 2 years of this I became so anaemic that I almost collapsed - thats how I got to see the doctor! The sooner you see your doctor the easier the treatment will be. It is also quite common for haemorroids to sort themselves out and a visit to the doctor will more than likely put your mind at rest. Please just don't do nothing. It really is a problem you don't have to put up with and can be easily put right. Good luck.

I have had them for the past 10 years, they do not bother me but like you described mine are external and just there. I went to see a surgean and he recommended surgery, I was aware that it waas going to hurt but after reading the posts I am now terrified of my upcoming surgery. :-(