My husband has problems with hemorrhoids for few months already. Few days ago, he decided to visit his doctor. He recommended him to use some remedy to help its shrinking. I wonder if that is possible without surgery. Can you tell me more about shrinking hemorrhoids, and how long does it take?

Firstly, you need to know that hemorrhoids are caused by too much pressure in the rectum and there are two different types of hemorrhoids. Problem with this disorder is that blood forcing the walls of the veins to stretch and bulge. One type of hemorrhoids is internal hemorrhoids, which usually do not hurt or itch. Since their bleeding could mask blood from colorectal cancer, for example, they should be treated. External hemorrhoids cause most of the symptoms we commonly hear about, such as pain, burning, and itching. Because of these unpleasant symptoms, external hemorrhoids get the most treatment attention, which I believe your husband experienced. There are two treatment goals for this kind of hemorrhoids. First, take away the symptoms, such as burning, pain, and itching. Second goal is to help the hemorrhoids to shrink. To shrink hemorrhoids back down to normal size, topical medications are useful. Some aggressive treatments are using special techniques that should improve hemorrhoids within days. They may need 2-4 weeks of treatment to completely calm down, so your husband should be patient and wait his hemorrhoids to shrink completely.

It depends.

It is hard to tell but I do know from my own experience that pain is so huge that I wanted to kill myself because I was not able to stand this pain. There are some ways to treat hemorrhoids, to make this pain easier, hemorrhoids relief  sometimes is not that easy.

Here is what you can do if you really don't want to go to the surgery immediately.

That is an advice from my doctor and it really helped me a lot. He told me that I should minimize sitting on my toilet. I was surprised because it didn't make sense for me, but it helped me.

Also, when you realize that you need to go to the toilet, do it as fast as you can, do it very soon. It can help you a lot.

Regarding hemorroids, should I not be exercising while experiencing these hemorroids and uncomfortableness from burning and pain. I also have some sort of a rash too that is really driving me crazy. What else can i do to get rid of these hemorroids.

I had hemorroids two weeks ago. I ran 4 miles a day Monday to Friday. Friday night it burst. There was blood and what looked like black blood chunks. It relieved the pain but not completely. Saturday morning I took a sitz bath. I didn't run Saturday or Sunday. I started running again Monday. I put preparation H on them every day for a week. The preparation H was great when running. It made running painless. I am still not 100% comfortable, in my second week, from the first day of discomfort. I am still seeing blood in my underwear and on the toilet paper but not enough to worry about. Keep the area clean and ice them when you have time.

sugary is the last method for hemorrhoids, most hemorrhoids can shrink and dispear naturally by choosing right diets, wearings and lifestyle. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It would be nice if the question was actually answered! Like what kind of meds.... perscription.. non perscription?

4 months ago
In reply to anonymous on 2005-11-07 - click to read
. . . . . . . . . . . I'm on board wit that!!!

Yeah no kidding! Everywhere you look and click for almost anything these days turns out like this. Somebody will ask your same question you're searching the net for and then you enter a forum or whatever only to find the same descriptions over and over or even worse some jackass will hijack your thread with their problems and questions and yours never gets answered.
Which is how I got here today, been searching for an answer to one simple question and after hours haven't even come close.

I had a hemorrhoid for over 2 years, I tried everything. The first doctor told me to put vitamin e on it, nothing happened. Second doctor wrote me a prescription for proctozone-hc. After about 3 or 4 days of using the proctozone-hc the hemorrhoid started to really hurt. Next thing I felt was a pop. I went to the bathroom at work and did a quick wipe and blood was on the t.p. When i got home I took a shower then I looked at the hemorrhoid in a mirror. The hemorrhoid was about 1/2 the size. Then I put neosporin on it for a few days. I started with the proctozone-hc again. The exact same thing happened. pain, blood on the t.p. it took about 2 weeks but the hemorrhoid is now gone. Go to a doctor and get proctozone-hc it works!!!!!!

I have been using Proctozone-HC for 20 years (following major rectal surgery) whenever I have a rectal flairup. Initial swelling is reduced in first 8 hours. Can take as long as 7 days for total healing. Extent of swelling can be related to higher than normal blood pressue and diet. It does work much better than across the counter alternatives. Cheaper and less discomfort in the long run.

I have pain in my butt when I go washroom

Mega doses of butchers broom stops bleeding and helps shrink
Tissue.5000mg vitamin c with rose hips and lemon bioflavonoid .
You should start feeling better in a couple of days.

Hi... i dont think youll see this.. but was your external? ...some to be tmi, but it was always visible?

I use Tucks which is a round pad soaked in a solution of witch hazel. The plastic container can be kept in the refrigerator. Also, I have used Cooling Gel from Preparation H. These are over the counter.