My 5 year old granddaughter has been complaining of feeling nauseous for a few months now. I would say 5 out of 7 days. Sometimes she also has a bad headache and on a few occasions she did vomit. I took her to her doctor and they did a blood test. Results were mono negative, but positive for CMV. I can't find anything about CMV that describes her symptoms. Anyone know more?

Hi Mamaw Pam,

CMV, Cytomegalovirus, is a common infection that anyone of any age can get.

Usually symptoms only last a few weeks to a month or so.  Yes, the symptoms can appear as mono.  It can also cause hepatitis, muscle aches, and a rash.

In severe cases it can affect the gastrointestinal tract.  It can also affect the lungs and nervous system.

Has she seen her doctor for a follow up? 

No she just saw her doctor Friday.

Her doctor prescribed nausea medicine to use as needed. But is that all that can be done?

So she was just diagnosed.

Most children and adults DO NOT require any treatment. it's a virus so an antibiotic will not treat nor cure it.

In severe cases, or if the person has a compromised immune system, an antiviral drug MAY help but even they can not cure the infection.

Treating the symptoms is customary.

Im really concerned because she has been complaining of being sick at her stomach for well over 2 months. Her school just called for me to come get her because she is sick again. Just FYI she loves school, so I really don't think it is so she can leave.