Hi, I have a five months old baby. Ever since she was born she has been having health problems. She was born underweighted and she still hasn't achieved the desired weight for her age. Now I have noticed that a lump pups up in the belly button area whenever she cries. I am worried that this could be a hernia. Am I right? If I am, what should I do?

Hi, it is not unusual for the babies that are born underweighted to have a hernia. She might have an opening in her abdominal muscles through which a part of small intestine can get trough. This can be seen as a lump under the skin. This type of hernia is called the umbilical hernia and doesn't bother the baby very much. It usually closes up naturally by the time your baby turns two. However you should take your baby to the doctor who will determine the right diagnose and the necessary course of treatment.