My 15 year old neice has been off and on had bouts of a pulling pain in her belly button area. This doubles her over, she gets dizzy and nauseaus. Her blookd pressure drops and it completely wipes her out.. she has gone to a gasto specialist and they can not seem to find out what is going on. She is missing school and just really not doing well.. we do not know what else to do? She is active, in great shape and this seems to happne out of the blue ?? Help.. concerned Auntie

I feel the same thing she describes...like someone is pulling my belly button from the inside. It is sensitive to touch and if I do touch around it it really feels like I am pulling my belly button... Let me know if you find out what it is.

I have also suffered from random bouts of infrequent but severe belly button pain for several years. I have recently been diagnosed with adenomyosis, for which I am getting a hysterectomy. I have read that belly buttin pain can be caused by adenomyosis.

"The uterus has physical attachments to the lower back via the uterosacral ligaments, to the upper thighs through the round ligaments, and to the umbilical area through the urachus and obliterated umbilical arteries that come off the uterine arteries. Therefore many patients with a uterine source of pain may describe pain radiating to these areas. This may help differentiate uterine pain from endometriosis pain."

It would be unusual for a 15 year old to be diagnosed with adenomyosis, but I suppose its something to look into.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

:-( My daughter has had stabbing pain in her belly button off and on for four years. It only happens once or twice a year for about 20 minutes or so. Yesterday, she had another episode. This time it lasted for a couple of hours. She says that she feels like dying, when it occurs. She has had several blood tests and ultrasounds done...nothing.

Please let me know if anyone has anymore information on this.

thanks,

A very sad concerned mommy

My 16 year old has stabbing/pulling belly button pain occassionally also. It may last for a half an hour or as much as all day. The pediatrician blamed it on constipation. I don't think that constipation is necessarially the cause of it. She sometimes has the pain and hasn't gone to the bathroom recently, but for instance today, she has had the severe pain all day and has had a bowel movement. She also has a very irregular menstral cycle for which she has been put on Loestrin birth control pills to help regulate it. I am worried that this pain may have something to do with her menstral cycle. She is about 1 1/2 weeks into her cycle right now. She has no fever or any other symptoms.

Does anyone have anything similar to her problem? If so, please email me ***

Thanks,

**edited by moderator**

iv been having the same pain for the past 2 days...but when i worked out today, it went away...and when im not working out, it comes back...maybe i pulled a muscle? it just doesnt feel like that though...it feels like someone is pulling at my bellybutton from the inside and i think it to be a little unusual if i were to have utuerus problems, im only 18.

im not sure, im worried about it, becuase iv never had this pain before...but i am also a hypocondriac so..if anyone thinks maybe it is just a pulled muscle, let me know!~

To Everyone who has posted on this subject of belly button pain: You should find out about Gluten Intolerance, a fairly common, and commonly overlooked problem. A lot of doctors still think it's rare, but it's not. Just google for it. Good luck.

I have suffered from the exact same type of pain, the first episode occurring when I was only 4. I'm now 19 and since then, I have had on and off episodes over the years and have visited numerous doctors, had testings, etc. Nothing has ever confirmed a diagnosis.

Although I am convinced it is not simply a UTI, I have noticed that if I take meds like AZO Standard or Urastat, I get relief more quickly than waiting out the pain. You have to go to the bathroom once before the meds start working (I know thats the last thing you want to do), but it does make it more bearable.

I hope this helps anyone still suffering from this. Keep me updated on any new findings.

My 12 year daughter has been having these episodes for 5 years off and on. We have come to call them flairs. Nothing preceeds them, they are not predictable, it can last for an hour or all day. Her symptoms can include but are not limited to diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting and fatigue in addition to the pain. She is also very thin but she eats as much as her 15 year old brother at times. We have been to several doctors. We ended up at the Peds GI unit at Loma Linda Childrens Hospital in CA and have had tons of tests done. She has had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, contrast xrays, blood work, stool samples, she did this one test where she swallowed a pill that was a little camera and it followed her digestive tract all the way through providing pics all along the way. It brings tears to my eyes even now, but everyone is stumped and all tests come back NEGATIVE. This poor child has been through the ringer. Along the way we have even been told its all in her head, maybe its an eating disorder or a psychological issue, but I KNOW her and none of that is true. We have tried eliminating dairy and wheat and msg, but she still gets the flairs, and they are so sporatic. She hasn't had a flair in over 6 months, the longest stretch ever, and I find myself in this forum for the first time tonight desperate for answers as she is laying in my bed curled up with a heating pad on her tummy, which seems to provide some comfort for her. When it flairs she takes Pentasa, probiotics, acidofolis, but who knows if that even helps because its the same whether she takes them or not. But I give them to her knowing they help with digestion anyway, hoping that it helps her to feel proactive about helping herself feel better. I am not convinced that is has to do with digestion at all, because if that was it, we would have found an answer. Just when I thought it was over, its back, and I feel helpless all over again. But I must say that reading all of the other posts for the first time about people who have the same symptoms makes me feel validated...I just wish with my whole heart that there was an answer for her...
Signed,
Another sad mommy :-(

Wow, it's a huge relief to see other people with this kind of pain..

I've been living with it for years, since I was 8 or so. It's a sharp but dull pain (?), centered behind my bellybutton, and it's simply debilitating. lasts for up to 2 days sometimes, and won't go away unless I sleep. No pain medication has ever worked for it, and I can't function when it occurs. I sleep hunched over in a recliner with pillows around me, because I can't bear to stand or lie straight.

I've had multiple tests, all the same as the above poster mentioned--basically everything you can have done. Please, please..if anyone finds the cause for it, reply and let me know. It affects my life in such a negative way.

My Daughter is 5 and she has these exact same sypmtoms...I feel helpless too..she was 4 when they started .like most i didn't think anything of it at frist but when they begin to be more frequent..i went to the doctor and yes like one of the bloger's they told me it was " constipation"..which in my heart i knew it wasn't...and she was gets dizzy and starts to votimit and when they happen her face gets pale and seem if as someone just drained her enegry out..and the only way it goes aways if she sleeps..for a long period of time..and we have done blood test and ultrasound and stool stamples ...NOTHING.. and im glad to hear that im not the only mother out there with this concern or problem..sign a very worried mother..

does anyone have any input on this subject???? this is all questions we need answers.............these post describe what we have been going through 4 8 years getting worse now my 13 yr old will be having exploratory surgery if you have important imput please let me know, before its too late and one of these wacky doctors screw up............ any info please advise please!!!!! subject line important belly button pain please :)

god bless

donna

mo

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

HI-
I just got home from the first round of xrays with my 9 year old daughter having the same issues. She has been in pain for a cou1ple of days and I knew to get it checked out. She has acid reflux, her nerves get rattled because she is in a private challenging school and has a brother that steals away mom time. Long story short, all her test were normal tonight and she has already woken up from going to sleep. It has never been like this. If you find any more info please post. thanks, Millicent

Hi folks,

I have had this problem most of my life, starting around age 12 and I'm 37. I'm male. This is NOT a women's issue.

One can never be sure that all of these descriptions of pain have the same cause, but certainly there is something here that has been widely reported on the internet that is ABSOLUTELY UNKNOWN to the medical community. This is unacceptable, especially when so many people suffering from a debilitating condition get dismissed as being crazy, or liars. This is very real PHYSICAL problem. Parents of children, PLEASE do not accept any sort of "explanation" that this is a "psychological" issue. It is not. This is simply doctors throwing their hands up because they have absolutely no clue.

My description of it: an intense, often truly unbearable pain that centers around the belly button and feels like a pulling on an extremely sensitive "cord" inside the body. For me, urinating while having an episode is excruciating. It typically comes on suddenly, and lasts up to an entire day. Sleep usually resolves it.

As far as triggers, sometimes there is no discernible trigger. However, often I have an episode several hours after a lot of physical activity that includes a lot of bending or twisting of the trunk. Dehydration may also play a factor.

My best guess at this point - and I have been trying to figure this out most of my life - is that it may relate to the urachus, which is the structure in the body which expelled urine through the umbilical cord in utero. As a baby develops, the urachus closes off and becomes vestigial and remains as a ligament that connects the belly button area to the bladder. The fact that urination seems to cause extreme "pulling" pain which extends to the belly button area seems consistent with the painful "cord" being the urachus.

Fortunately as I got older, this has happened less frequently for me - I have only had a handful of episodes in the last 10 years. However, for much of my life this was the bane of my existence, and I felt embarrassed and sometimes despondent over it. Having episodes of this while trying to socialize with friends and explain it to them is just awful for a young person trying to be "normal."

That the medical community is unaware of this or how to treat it is unacceptable and needs to change. This condition needs a name, it needs a treatment, it needs a place in the medical textbooks, and it needs a place in the education of medical professionals.

Hey All,
I am a 30 year old man and I've had this pain occasionally for 10 - 15 years. I would say this happens to me 4 to 5 times a year, normally. The last few years I can't remember having the pain at all. Now, I've had it again. I think my case is milder than some of the ones I've read here.

I'll try to describe the pain, as it's strange:

The pain is centered right behind my belly button and "pulling pain" is a good description. There's hardly any pain when I'm sitting, but as soon as I stand up straight, the pain shoots down. Mine usually disappear in a day, or overnight while I sleep. I normally forget all about them until it happens the next time.

After I had the pain again tonight, I decided to google bellybutton pain and see what it might be. There's quite a few posts on other sites about this pain. But none of them have any answers. I feel so bad for those of you out there with more severe pain than me. Mines more of an annoyance...