I am quite worried because I noticed a sharp pain in my abdomen five days ago when I arched my back to stretch. It was about an hour after doing an ab workout. Five days later (today) I can feel a small ball or lump just above my belly button. The lower part of the lump slightly protrudes through the top part of my belly button. I am really hoping it is a pulled muscle and not a hernia. I have no health insurance. I have taken some ibuprofen and it has helped with the pain which could mean it is a muslce problem? The pain isn't bad at all when I press on it, but I certainly feel the pressure. My B.M.s have not been so normal but it could be a seperate virus or something. Yikes! I appreciate any help or information I can receive before I pay the price of seeing a doctor.

Many thanks,

Sara

I wish I had an answer, but I wanted to post that I too have a painful lump above my belly button. I had a C-section almost 4 months ago not sure what the lump is, but I believe mine was brought about by doing ab excersizes. It also hurts to the touch, but is not protruding. I really hope someone has an answer for this!

I had one and went to the doctors. He gave me antibiotics because he said its an infection inside.

Sadly, ladies, you both need to see a doctor and get these checked. Sound exactly like my 'epigastric hernia' that I'm seeing a surgeon about next week. I have a ten year old son, and when I was pregnant with him, I was told my stomach muscles 'separated'- Just about a year ago, I was doing inverted crunches (in this never-ending effort to tighten a stomach I'm pretty sure is ruined for good appearance-wise) when I thought I pulled something- It was sore like a pulled muscle but had a slight 'burning' sensation as well. I thought nothing of it and simply skipped ab workouts until it stopped hurting (some 2 1/2 weeks later!) then about 2 months after, I was lying on the floor on my back one night and happened to feel a bump about halfway between my sternum and belly button. I noticed it could be pushed in and made a gurgling noise. (eww!) Let it go and hoped it was nothing until I recently told my sister, who's a nurse about it. She said SEE A DOCTOR because these things are easily corrected but can be dangerous if they are let go. Read up, it's simple surgery to correct and a family doctor can usually diagnose it just by feeling it. You'd then be sent to see a surgeon for eval. Hope this helps you!

ok to the first post, I have this exact same thing.. I mean you described exactly what i have.. I to do ab exercises so i am thinking this has something to do with it.... Sometimes it hurts really bad but most of the time it is just there.. but at one point i did have pain when i arched my back.. somebody please figure out what this is

I have the same thing and was told I have an umbilical hernia. Simple outpatient surgery.

ok mines has been there for awhile. a doctor said it is a cyst but i donno how or when it came. Sometimes I feel it but at other times its not even there. I am very worried about this cus I have been trying to get pregnant for awhile now with no success.. i even had an etopic eight months ago and I wonder if it has anything to do with it.

Hi I just wanted to post that I also have a lump in my belly. It's right above my belly button. When it comes you can see it when I lift up my shirt because my belly changes shape right there. Plus I've had two c sections and I didnt start getting it until the last one about two years ago. It would only come every now and again. Now for the last month I've had it everyday. It seemed to subside if I had a bowl movement now that doesn't help. Does anyone know what this is?

hi ladies,

i have got a sore lump on the upper rim of my belly button. It feels like it is infected. don't want to go to dr's. i want it to get better on its own. the more i touch it the sorer it gets... just wanted you to know men can get it whatever it is

ian %-)

I read through this before i went to the dr. and thank god i live in canada and can go for free! so they told me i have a hernia...thats not usually pinful but was brought upon by yoga pretty much 24 hours after my intense session. It is quite small, about the size of a dime but a hard lump that hurt when i pushed on it. They told me i didnt require surgery YET but if i kept forcing my body to do things it would get worse. I also had this pain below my belly button in december and it went away. They also explained that this usually happens with people who are over weight and have weak abdomnal walls, but im 5 9 and 135 pounds so she was surprise. so in the mean time im avoiding dancing,m running , liftig heaving things and working out until the pain goes away! Hope that helps, but if its painful and large go to the dr, because hernias need surgery.

I think I may have a hernia, I've had this problem for almost 3 years now, but thanks to the cost of surgery I can't afford to have anything done. I was told by a doctor it was a hernia and he scheduled me for surgery and 2 min. of looking at me. No Exams or anything, but te cost of the surgery is so hi, I was told to go to another doctor that will do a complete exam, with ultrasound and MRI type examination. To pinpoint my problem. I can press on mine and I can feel the fluid flow out, the about 10 min later it fills back up with fluid. I was told it's my small intestines poking through my stomach wall, and I'm just forcing the fluid in my intestine to flow through. I doesn't hurt at all, but I would like to get it taken care of.

I do several hundred situps every day, usually with an exercise inflated ball. The last few weeks have noticed a hard lump around the size of a dime, not protruding though, just under my belly button. It is slightly painful to the touch. Should I have it looked at by a doctor? I was thinking it was just a pulled muscle but it seems to be getting a litte harder and also is a little painful to the touch. Could it be a tumor of some sort?

Concerned,

Ed

I have the same thing as what's described -- a round protrusion above my belly button. Sometimes I can feel it bulging out if I run my fingers over the skin and sometimes I can't. But the thing is I've never gotten pregnant/given birth/tried to get pregnant (I've never even had sexual intercourse) which is a common fact I've seen among the posts I've read previous to writing this.

And I'm 16. Does anyone know what this is? Usually it doesn't hurt but right now it hurts (not much at all, but it's the fact that the pain is persisting that makes me worry).

Im 16 years old i also have a lump above my belly button it is very sore when i touch it and is very noticable... it causes me pain all the time ... when i eat my stomache expandes like a balloon and it hurts so much that i want to cry ... i feel dissy after eating and i feel weak all the time and i cant stand it anymore i always feel sick the lump has gotten bigger and i have had it for a long time. i have went to the doctor and he thought it was an epigastric hernia but when he sent me to get a sound wave ultrasound done , there was nothing wrong with me supposbily but the bump is still there and it hurts alot and hasnt decresed or went away at all i can see it by lifting up my shirt and i can feel it and so can my friends ... if anyone knows anything please let me know it would be greatly appreciated

i am also 16 and i have a bulge and my pain is persistant as well and i cant stand it i think its an epigastic hernia but my doctor says im fine but i know he just doesnt care to even check but i know what your going through