Hello! I was suspected of having liver disease and for that was recommended to do lab test. It turned out that my B12 level is high. I’d like to know something more of what actually means having high B12 levels and what role B12 has in general? Thanks

You’re well advised to do the lab test just for the reason you’ve mentioned- high B12 levels may be the sign of liver diseases but also sign of chronic renal failure and either chronic or acute myelogenous leukemia. On the other side a lack of the B12 is usually a cause of megaloblastic anemia-which means abnormal amount of red blood cells. Vitamin B12 is a major component in the DNA synthesis and is responsible for red blood cells formation along with folic acid. In fact vitamin B12 is necessary for the transportation of the folic acid from serum into the red cells.