Hi.

My dog is not feeling well. I take good care of what he eats and I always buy only high quality food for him. He never had problems with his stool nor with his digestion. But lately I’ve noticed that he is having an upset stomach.

I don’t know what might have caused this, but I believe that it is not the food. He has been eating the same food as always- low calorie food since he is a senior dog.

Does anyone here have a situation like this with a senior dog? Can you assume why is my senior dog having an upset stomach?

Hello. It is definitely time to see the vet. A lot of senior dogs have trouble with upset stomach. It can happen that sometimes dog can’t eat what they were eating before. Maybe they liked some ingredient or some food, but after some time dogs just avoid to eat it and this food can upset their stomach. Anyway it is very hard to tell why some dog has upset stomach. You should visit your vet as soon as possible and see with him what the best cure is. Home remedies you can always find alone on the internet. Good luck!

Hi guys.

It could be for several reasons. Maybe your dog has food intolerance or certain ingredient allergy? You should check this because a lot of dogs have upset stomach because of it. What about water?

Does your dog drink plenty of water? Because je should but I do believe that you are giving him clean and fresh water all the time.

A few months ago my dog had upset stomach as well and it lasted for a couple of days. He was also allergic to one of the ingredients that he was eating very often. I agree that it is time to see the vet because senior dogs are more likely to develop this.

You think? :/  

Well it occurred to me that it might be some kind of allergy but I assumed that allergies appear after the first contact with some allergen.

And when it comes to my dog, he has been eating the same food that I am buying for him for the last three years. And there is nothing new in his surroundings that might have caused it.

Maybe something that I didn’t notice.

And of course I give him fresh and clean water, he drinks plenty of it. It is the same water that I’m drinking. So that shouldn’t be it.

Hello everyone. Look, my dog is almost 10 years now. When he was getting older he started to avoid some foods. I was hard head and I was giving some ingredients to him that he didn’t like. But he was eating them and I could see that he is having problems with his stomach. He had upset stomach all the time. Look, when your dog is getting older, some ingredients are not the same anymore for his stomach, he starts to refuse them. I am almost 100 percent sure that this is the reason why your dog is having upset stomach.

Hey everyone.

I remember that my friend had very similar case. Her senior dog started to have very upset stomach very often. She was trying to figure out what is going on, she was visiting the vet all the time, he did a lot of tests but none of those test didn’t show that her dog has food intolerance to some ingredient.

I think that this was like a hell to her.

After a while she found out that her dog has some parasites that are causing upset stomach.

That could be one of the reasons.

Maybe you should check this.

I have a senior dog too and he often has digestive problems. At first, I didn’t know I need to change this diet when he got a bit older. I continued feeding him with high calorie diet which caused him stomach problems, but later I adjusted the diet according to his needs.
Later on, whenever his stomach was upset I knew that that was his reaction to some stressful situation that happened. For example if he was scared of something or if he was attacked by some other dog, his stomach might react. Maybe this is the case with your dog.

It is possible that some stressful situation caused this. I remember when my friend’s dog got hit by a car, he wasn’t injured. She took him to the vet immediately and the vet did some check ups and told her everything was fine.

The next couple of days the dog had upset stomach, he didn’t want to eat well… She called the vet to ask him what to do and he told her not to worry. He said that that car accident caused a lot of stress in her dog and that it completely normal that his stomach is upset for a day or two.

Umm… no. It should not be the result of stress. I keep my dog inside the house, he is the apple of my eye. :) And the only stress that he can deal with daily is the one which occurs when I buy him the wrong treats.

When we are out, we are always together so I don’t think some stressful situation could go unnoticed.

I would definitely see it or at least, I would notice my dog’s strange behavior after it. He is one carefree dog, really. It must be something else that is causing his stomach to be upset.

Hey Dalmatian Lover,

Even though I believe that you doubt this, it is always possible that your dog could have eaten something bad while you weren't looking at him. There is always a chance for that.

You sad that he had an upset stomach four days ago. If it was caused by bad food (his regular food might have been bad also), he should have gotten better already. In case he didn't, that's the alarm to take him to the vet. There is a big number of disease which could upset his stomach so, if you rule out the food as the cause, you need to act.