I am 28yrs old, female and had surgery 9/3/08- 5days ago today. If i had could turn back time I definetley would NOT have the surgery done. it has been the most painful experience of my life. I've had two children, a tonsilectomy and a D&C after miscarrige and NOTHING compares to this pain. 3 days after surgery I had the biggest urge to have a BM and after I tried for a long time to my horror I realized the stool was impacted and WAS NOT coming out. I followed the doctors orders of Stool softners and metamucil and kept a liquid diet and this didn't help at all! I was in such excrutiating pain that I went to the ER and was hospitalized overnight. They gave me an enema and magnesium and it helped me have the first BM which was so horrible I was screaming on the toilet and the doc finally felt sorry for me and gave me a STRONG dose of pain meds in my IV and I finally pushed it out. I hope I don't gross anyone out but this is the REALITY of this surgery. The next day after, I was so sick because the enemas (2 by this time) and laxatives took effect and i had diahrrea for hours. Today is day 5 and I finally felt good enough to get up and have a somewhat normal day. The only thing is i haven't had another real BM since the one @ the hospital and I am more than terrified. I am so scared that I have still not eaten anything other than applesauce and jello. Has anyone else had such a bad experince with this surgery? PLEASE e-mail me if you've had a similar experinece and have gotten passed this I can use any tips or at least know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. right now I feel like i'm in a dark dark place and do not see the end to this horrible nightmare. :'(

Colon hydrotherapy (colonic) works wonder for impacted stool. In this procedure, the therapist inserts a canulum into the rectum. Water at body temperature is irrigated into the colon under mild to moderate pressure. The therapist then massages the abdomin to break up the fecal matter in the colon. The irrigated water containing the broken up fecal matter is then released to the outside. This process is repeated until the colon is cleared of fecal matter. You may feel some discomfort as the water stretches your colon, but there should be no pain. Colon therapy is far more thorough in that it works the entire colon (ascending, transverse, descending), whereas an enema works only the rectal area.