This forum has been helpful as I'm browsing it.. but I had a question to anyone who may have had the PPH procedure. I had it on the 26th of Dec, and for the most part the recovery has been far worse that i expected or was told. Mainly I've had this feeling of soreness and sometimes burning soreness that has yet to really go away some 9 days later. Moreover, today I about scared myself to death when a good amount of dark red blood came out during a BM.. and then kept happening for about 5-6 times, up until I felt light headed from all the blood loss. I called the doctor who didn't seem too alarmed and said that "a little" bleeding is normal and can occur as far out as this.. but that if it kept happening I should come in for possibly some stitching on what ever is bleeding. Well, finally the heavy bleeding seems to have stopped, but now I get these occasional very dark brown "Wet farts" that come out when I sit to go.. I'm eating as much fiber as possible, and don't know what else to do. I'm dreading having to travel from Phoenix to Washington DC via a stop off in Denver on Monday, and the lack of proper restrooms and hot water to sooth my butt after a BM..

Anyone have any experience with the healing process of the PPH? I was told it was a lot easier than the traditional surgery, and if so.. God bless you all that did that!

Hi Sam, my mom just had the PPH procedure exactly 3 weeks ago. During the past few days, she is experiencing the same bleeding during BM that you described above. I'm curious to know how your recovery went after the bleeding. My mom, like you has had a really bad experience with this procedure. Michael

"Lot easier" than traditional surgery only in terms
of lesser pain.

That was my mistake too, choosing the PPH method.
It's been overrated, overpromoted and overhyped, not to
mention far more costly. Many surgeons are jumping on
the staple bandwagon as the latest fad or "in-thing", and
many patients are also selecting it, thinking it is a easy,
troublefree and painless method.

It takes experience and precision to use the device. If
the surgeon does the suture too high or too low down
the anus, there are going to be problems, not to mention
intense pain.

The Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson) staple device alone costs
between M$1,000 and M$2,000 in Malaysia, depending on
which hospital you go to. It's made in Mexico actually, and looks
like a kid's flimsy toy ray gun.

There have been quite a few complications and side effects
with this device - bleeding, fecal urgency rectal occlusion,
stenosis, rectal perforation, suture tear, rectovaginal fistula.
Because titanium staples will be grasping your anal wall,
anything can happen. Worse, it has a high rate of relapse -
the staples do not really cut away your piles, it just pulls or
retracts them back up the rectum. One of my hemorrhoids
have already recurred only after three years.

I had a combined staple plus diathermy surgery. The staple
cannot grasp hemorrhoids which are too big and confluential,
as was the case with one of mine. It stapled two, and this third
one had to be excised with diathermy.

The surgeon packed my anus with gauze. I started bleeding
in the middle of the night. The next morning, I went to the
toilet, thinking I was going to have a bowel movement, but
only passed out congealed blood, staining the whole toilet
bowl red. I'm not sure if this bleeding was from the staple
or diathermy, or both.

I didn't realize how much blood I had lost until a Hgb test
showed it had dropped from 13 to 10.

The the difficult recovery period for the next two months
- fecal urgency and incontinence running to the toilet 5 or
6 times a day. I wore a lady's sanitary pad, but like Sam above,
I kept passing out dark brown fecal matter with smelly gas
every now and then. Stenosis caused the passing out of
long, pencil thin, dark stools in the toilet. The worst thing
was fecal impaction on two occasions, just when I thought
I was recovering.

I would suggest you use Dead Sea salts as a sitz bath at
least twice a day to help with the healing. Then get some
emu oil and rub it in and around the anus. Drinking some
aloe vera juice made from the gel, which doesn't cause a
cathartic action, also helps healing.

My mom continues to bleed with bowel movement almost a month after the procedure. The blood is mixed in with the stools and it is red/maroon. The doctor says this is normal and that it is from the wound and that it can last for another 4 to 6 weeks. My mom is looking to see another doctor for a second opinion. This was supposed to be the less painful of the hemorrhoid procedures. It has turned out to be the opposite. Please think carefully before doing this. Also chose an experienced doctor/surgeon. Thanks.

It appears the latest Ethicon model "PPH-03" staple
causes lesser bleeding than the first generation "PPH-01"
model which they used on me and many of the people in
this forum.

If anyone still wishes to go for the staple method, ask
the surgeon if they are using this model.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/queryd.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=17500179&itool=pubmed_docsum

I had my surgery on November 4. For a while I was optimistic that it was going to work, but that had changed in recent weeks. My movements are normal-soft with the use of softeners but I appear to have a full colon all the time and have flat movements. I expel gas often, not knowing if I'm going to have a movent. And in the last 3-4 weeks, I have been having excruciating burning pain with bowel movements and occasional blood on the toilet paper.
Did we make a mistake?
Should I contact the surgeon?

Hey there, I've had the PPh surgery 4 days back and since then I've been browsing the Internet looking for someone who is having the same complications that aim having. finally I found your post.

I am currently passing throw almost exactly the same what you have described.

I would be very thankful if you can give me a feedback on your current status and for how long did you have the difficulty in trying to pass stool ( the pain,blood, stenosis....

Hoping to receive your reply soon

Thanks a lot

Thanks for sharing ur experience

Hi there,
I hope ur mom is doing great now, I have had this procedure about 3 weeks back, unfortunately about 3 days back I started bleeding with every bm, i am concede ring going back to my doctor.
I would like to know what happened with ur mom after the 1st month
I suffered a lot after after the surgery and the last thing I want is to have another operation !!
Appreciate any feedback

Hi there, I hope ur mom is doing great now, I have had this procedure about 3 weeks back, unfortunately about 3 days back I started bleeding with every bm, i am concede ring going back to my doctor. I would like to know what happened with ur mom after the 1st month I suffered a lot after after the surgery and the last thing I want is to have another operation !! Appreciate any feedback

The pain in the anal area is caused by stitches they put there to control bleeders during the staple surgery. I am 19 days out from surgery. The pain at day 16 was horrible due to the burning pain. Once the stitches were removed the pain dissapeared. The stitches tend to pull and rub on the inside of the rectum causing the burning pain. have your surgeon remove them.