Hi, I am 24 years old and I have been short sighted for the past couple of years. It is only a slight myopia, -1 and -0.5 but I have to wear glasses which irritates me. I am thinking of switching to lenses but I did hear couple of bad stories regarding wearing lenses. How can I know if I am allergic to contact lenses?

Well, the one solution would be to try them on, but the problem with wearing lenses for the first time is that the eyes will be irritated, allergy or not. So I guess you cannot really know until the period of adjustment is gone and it usually lasts for couple of days at least. After that, if the lenses are still irritation you, then you should check the possibility of being allergic to it.

Well,
I am not sure if you can really be allergic to contact lenses. The fact is that your eyes are just not able to adjust that you have something in your eyes. For instance you will have problems if you have dry eyes because you will have a lot of irritation in the eyes when you put your contact lenses. Also you will need to use a lot of tear drops to have more fluid in your eyes to ease the presence of the lenses. You have to know that first fifteen days will be worse in adjustment process but after that you won’t even noticed them in your eyes.
All the best,
Nelie