Hello! I wear eye glasses since I suffer from myopia. My doctor says the cause is most probably my excessive reading. I am really tired of my glasses and I would like to get rid of them. I am considering a surgery. My mother says my myopia will decrease since I wear glasses and she is against the surgery. Is decrease of myopia possible?

Hello! The primary options in treatment of myopia are eyeglasses, contact lenses and refractive surgery. I know some people who tried with special nutrition and eye exercises for myopia but with no results. I also don't know anyone who experienced decrease of myopia by only wearing glasses. I think that only possibilities to slow the myopia progression are special contact lenses or surgery.

Weirdly enough, my myopia decreased over the past year (at 27). Dunno how, the doc didn't really explain, but something about age and stuff. I dunno. I'm really excited since my eyes are terrible, and any improvement is great.

Hi there,
I am not sure if myopia will decreases in time. I am not sure where did you mother heard this. I know that lenses are good for controlling myopia and with the surgery you will most likely lose this eye condition for good. I would advise you to talk to your doctor and see what is the best options for you. I think that these surgeries are really not that complicated and they are done fast. I think that there are several videos online of the surgery so you can see how is done and then you can decide if you still want to have a surgery. I hope this helped a bit.

All the best,
Danella