Hello! I have been suffering from myopia and astigmatism. I wear glasses for long period of time and I am thinking on wearing contact lenses. Although I have really nice glasses and everyone says I look nice with them I would like to change something in my outlook. But, I don’t know which contact lenses to use. My sister told me I can try with toric contact lenses. I can’t see the difference. Should I use toric contact lenses?

Hello! First of all you have to visit your eye doctor and see if you are suitable for contact lenses. Toric lenses are the one which either or both of the optical surfaces have the effect of a cylindrical lens that are usually in combination with the effect of a spherical lens. Most of myopic people who also have astigmatism and who have been told they are not suitable for regular contact lenses are advised to use toric lenses. If only one eye has astigmatism you may be told to use a spherical lens in one eye and a toric lens in the other. Toric lenses are made from the same materials as regular contact lenses but have some extra characteristics and that is why they are more expensive.