hello.

i have noticed that every time i drink to a point where you could describe me as merry and i am assured a very good nights sleep i wake up fine, never a hang over, maybe tired, but thats normally relative to the time i went to sleep!

i always find that my nose is partially numb, tingly like i have pins and needles, it starts off just on my nose then the area increases to the lower parts of my cheeks, almost like a upside down T shape including my top lip.

sometimes it will extend to other areas, pinkies and that sidge of my hands,

this will normally last about and up to 30 hours after i wake up.

any thoughts, just seems a little odd!!

many thanks in advance!

I had this after a five day binge in the whole of my left face - it lasted over a year. Just had it again in my ear and cheek. Possibly to do with high blood pressure?

I also have this problem after drinking too much. It usually will come and go and will only last 1 day after drinking. Any cure that I should know about?

I also have tingling sensation in my cheeks the following day after I drink a little too much. I have asked a few other people who have reported they also experience it. I think it is just a reaction of the peripheral nervous system (PNS). The alcohol acts as a depressant, screwing up some of the extended nerves temporarily.

Quit drinking for a while and see if maybe that helps. :-D

I also have this problem when I drink more than 2 glasses. I tried different types of alchoal (i.e. beer, wine, vodka) and all give me the same reaction. Does anyone know of a preventive measure I can take or something I can do the next day?

happens too me too - but i also find it happens when i eat things like pretzels. maybe it has to do with yeast??

any answers would help

happened to me for the first time today...my arms feel heavy and numb. i think it's a neurological thing too...maybe combined with fatigue??

I have researched other sites and everyone seems to experience this feeling the next day after drinking. I get it instantly just with my first drink (1oz) usually starts at my shoulder runs down my arm then other shoulder and down that arm most of the time my legs are affected but not always, it hurts and it feels very uncomfortable. My most recent episode was last night after drinking a half of a margerita. However, (along with my arms) this time I felt numbness in my head, forehead and down the side of my face and I felt like vomiting. It goes away in about 15-30 minutes. I am not a heavy drinker I drink maybe 1-2 glasses of wine every 3weeks and occasionally at BBQ's. Oh! and the second I feel it is coming on I throw my drink away. Please help if you have any idea.

I've been doing lots of research on this, but I can't quite pinpoint the issue. I get partial numbness on the left side of my face from my forehead to the bottom of my chin. Yesterday, the feeling was noticeable from the left side of my head all the way down to the left side of my foot shortly after I drank beer. The numbness only happens when either I drink alcohol or coffee and is almost instant. The feeling isn't painful and doesn't last more than an hour or so, but it can be quite nerve racking. For a while, I thought it was due to high blood pressure but my blood pressure is always normal. I've had a complete neurological evaluation including an MRI on my brain thinking that perhaps it was due to my nervous system, but the doctor couldn't pinpoint anything. I'm completely stumped.

On another note, I've also experienced numbness after I eat certain foods. Fortunately I did figure out that I'm allergic to MSG which would make my face numb. I've since cut MSG out of my diet and do feel better but still I have the mystery "once in a while" numbness caused by coffee or alcohol. %-) Maybe I'll just stop drinking coffee and alcohol.

Life was so much easier as a child... :'(

When I drink just one glass of alcohol (beer, wine, mixed, either with or without food), rather slowly (30+ minutes), I get a prickling/tingling sensation at the back of my jaw, just below and in front of my ears. I would say this happens about 20% - 25% of the time, under the circumstances described. The sensation varies from a minor annoyance, maybe akin to a limb falling asleep, to rather painful, like whacking your funny bone. It typically lasts no longer than an hour, maybe two at most.

I have found that (aside from not drinking!), I can avoid the "tingly jaw" by having more than one drink ... seriously. I have considered that it's not the second drink, but just the time elapsed that might make the second drink appear to stop/eliminate the tingling. However, if I have my first drink rather quickly (doesn't have to be a shot, just not nursed), and then drink at a normal pace with the second drink, I am fine, and NEVER have this problem. It's only when I slowly sip a single drink (for example, over a lunch or dinner, with a single beer or glass of wine) that I suffer this problem; unfortunately, such situations are hard to completely avoid, and it's nearly impossible to explain "my problem" when the tingling starts, as I've only encountered one other person in my lifetime who understood ... my mother! She has exactly the same symptoms as I, down to the one-drink-only aspect. As such, I suspect there may be some genetic sensitivity issues at work here.

Yes I have the numbness too. Started on the left side early this morning in my hip and thigh area. Later I felt it in my face, my ear, my chin, my lip. Now it has spread down my neck, my arm and I'm beginning to feel it in the bottom of my right foot. Thing is I don't drink alcohol at all but I did have a cup of ice coffee this morning. The numbness in my thigh started well before I had the coffee though. I thought maybe it has to do with pinched nerves in my back but my back feels fine. I had my thyroid, sugar, blood pressure, etc. checked last week because of fatigue and all was ok. I even had a cardiogram done. I wonder if it is some form of dehydration coming form the alcohol and the coffee which acts as a natural diuretic? I've had iced coffee randomly for the past two weeks but didn't have any symptoms though. Strange. I feel better at least that I'm not alone.

Quote:

The same exact thing happens to me when I only have one drink and take my time with it. As a matter of fact, I'm experiencing it right now--which is what led me to this page. It's rather annoying and hurts a LOT when I yawn. Thankfully, it doesn't last too long. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the only one!

My girlfriend is currently experiencing this problem as well. We can't seem to pinpoint the issue. She proclaims that she has a "tingling sensation" in her lips, and an occasional numbness extruding to her hands. I have done a lot of research on this subject, which lead me to this page. She is currently under the influence and would like to know what causes this issue, if any notable physician within the vicinity would like to comment on this situation please do not hesitate to do so.

I get the numb feeling after drinking alcohol or eating something with sugar in it. Since January, when I had to take a course of antibiotics, the numbness is all over and worsens when I consume anything with sugar or alcohol (and possible other foods, too). I am thinking it is related to yeast overgrowth but cannot find anything on the internet to support that theory. Also skin numbness is called parasthesia.