Hello.

I have noticed that every time I drink to a point where you could describe me as merry and I am assured a very good nights sleep I wake up fine, never a hang over, maybe tired, but thats normally relative to the time I went to sleep!

I always find that my nose is partially numb, tingly like I have pins and needles, it starts off just on my nose then the area increases to the lower parts of my cheeks, almost like a upside down t shape including my top lip.

Sometimes it will extend to other areas, pinkies and that sidge of my hands,

this will normally last about and up to 30 hours after I wake up.

i am normally a vodka drinker.. or what evers thrown at me and its the same with everything i have had, white wine normally just makes my hands go but anything with vodka in it (cant remember if its the same with other drinks) will do the face thing.

could this be an allergy.. as far as i am aware this has been the way its has always been but i have only really got in to the drinking thing of late as before i never really went out.

i am a 22 yr old female, i would say that other than general fitness i am in good health, 5.6 and about 130-140lbs

havent been to my dr about it due to the fact that i would think i am wasting their time as its not exactly life threatning..

any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

thanks

did you ever go to doctor? had two glasses of wine last night and woke up feeling like i'd had novacaine at the dentist..one half of lower lip is numb. is this familiar?

This happens to me as well. I went to the doctor and did an allergy test and I am not allergic to anything. I went to a nerve specialist and they said nothing is wrong with me. My doctor just told me to stop drinking... which is not the answer I wanted to hear and not something I have done yet. I continue to get facial numbness and depending on how many drinks I have had is how bad the facial numbness is. I have had it spread down to my chest before.

Please let us know if you find a remedy for this. As you know it can be quite annoying.

Thanks!

I've had this before, and I still continue to get it everytime I have more than enough to drink. I get facial numbness and my fingers cramp up. This usually lasts for a day. I went to the dr and asked, and they can't find anything wrong with me either. They just told me to take vitamin supplements.

I get this also, have now for about a year (29 years). It usually last 48-72 hours and is really weird. my left half of lip feels inflamed just a bit, and left side of cheek as well sometimes. Sometimes, i will almost drool outmy left lip for a day or two. Any thoughts????

Ive started getting these symptoms after drinking only in my hands though. It started about 2-3 mths ago im 22. Have you found out what it is/??

I had 2 beers last night, and I woke up this morning to my right hand having my first 2 fingers and my thumb numb.
I'm only 14 though. I want to know why this has happened !!

because you drank when you are 14

I've had similar issues as well. Except it's only when I have vodka and excessive amounts of it. Also, I get numb all over my body and it usually lasts about a week sometimes longer, loose my sense of taste for about a day or two, and my sense to tell between hot and cold for about a day or two. I have yet to have a doctor tell me what is wrong... but from some personal research I've done, the best I can figure is that it's an allergic reaction. If you find out whats causing yours please let me know! i've been dealing with mine for 3 years now.

Hey, as for that whole numbness thing, I think I'm going through it right now. It's been about... 5 days now? My sense of touch all over feels a little off and i cant smell or taste as well. It's good to know that it doesnt last forever I guess. And I couldnt tell you what causes it, I've been wondering myself.

I've had numbness in two fingers in my right hand for two weeks now. I did drink the night prior to this occuring. I saw a doctor yesterday because I believed it may be caused by a pinch nerve. I woke up the same morning this occured with a very stiff neck and right shoulder blade. The doctor didn't believe a pinched nerve was the cause and thought it may be alcohol related. She also thought it could be an indicator of diabeties. A few days after finding I had numb fingers I drank 3 apple ciders and found my face and scars all turned bright red. This has happened to me once prior a few years ago when I was drinking bloody Marys. Anyway, on many occations I drink moderately, 1 to 2 drinks without having any adverse reactions that I'm aware of. I wonder if the numbness in my hands right now is due to an allergy. But this posts indicates others with the same problem have ruled that out upon visiting a doctor.

Isn't alcohol a local anesthetic? People's lips get numb when they drink a good amount (since that's what the alcohol touches most), I'm guessing the other numbnesses happen for a simliar reason.

Recently I have also been affected when I drink excessively. At first it only seemed to be if I drank spirits, but now it doesnt seem to matter what it is. My mum is a nurse and she believes that the alcohol is killing the nerves - if you do a bit of research u find all over the place information about how alcohol attacks the nervous system. It is a temporary thing for me at the moment, usually lasting a week at most, but from what I understand, it is something that could eventually become permanent - nerves wont grow back indefinately...
My advice is to stop drinking excessively... learn to enjoy moderation. Or... if you are like me... learn from your mistakes, admit that you are a binge drinker and go teetotal, before it becomes a real problem and threatens your life.

Guest wrote:

Here's an idea -- stop drinking so much. Is it that hard to figure out?

Gee, doc, every time I hit myself in the head with a hammer, I get a headache.

I hear what you are saying there, but it doesn't help people who are confused and lack information about what is happening to them.

I speak as an alcoholic of 20+ years standing with an IQ of 140+ , usually well dressed and respected - who can be reduced to a gibbering id**t you wouldn't want to marry your dog, let alone your daughter, who smells of alcohol , pisses his pants or anything else thats in the way, who can have peripheral nerve damage (numbness in legs/arms/face depending on the weather or my birthstar -ie random) caused by just a few (>3 <5 bottles of spirits consumed over a period of one month. Work out the average and that is sure a lot of alcohol, but ends up as say 1 bottle of vodka a week. Not a lot. It gets a lot when it hits one a day. Give it time. You'll get there eventually. Or die before.

1. Alcohol (ethanol, C2H5OH) is a mild relaxant in moderate doses. It can do wonderful things for a stressful or boring life, and helps people get over mild repressions that are not really important, sometimes in a spectacular way. Like girlfriend of mine in college who couldn't do "it", but after a couple of doubles could claim the world prize for libido. Once the dose increases (and it can, easily -you get to tolerate it so it doesn't make you happy or relax you, so you drink more.) then you get to the bad side. In higher doses it is lethal to the nervous system. It kills brain and nerve cells, then the liver and other organs and finally perhaps your heart muscle and the nerves that make it beat on time. Most people never get to 1/10 that level. Nature defends its own. You were not born to die of consuming fermented fruit or cereals.

2. Alcohol is a wonderful non-lethal drug for most people. Probably 75% of the people on this planet can drink as much as they want with no problem. Because they pass out quickly or feel revolted by their lack of coordination after drinking, or they get a hangover that feels like someone is smashing their skull into a concrete beam
That is the protection mechanism built into the 75%. It works well for them. The risk in drinking is zero.

3. If you don't have that mechanism because you got the wrong genes from one of natures experiments in evolution (not a stupid branch of mankinds evolution, after all, if we are sane, then we should just be able to stop when it does becomes debilitating). And while you are on, why not just tweak the body's ability to cope with alcohol. Dieing sort of screws up the reproduction statistics, and death from alcohol poisoning takes years until uyou build your tolerance up to screaming point.

4.Bottom line. Depending on your father, mother, grandfather, grandmother..ad-infinitum. Your tolerance may be too good. You are capable of self-destruction. The warning signs do appear, but then they go away, the body has adjusted. Over a long or short period (3 to 10 years perhaps) you get to a point where you are killing yourself. But you still feel fine. Just an occasional (rare) hangover. Just some vague numbness sometimes. Not a big deal really. After all, you did hit the bar a bit hard last night, so most people feel a bit down. Most people feel a bit numb, right?

No, wrong. Most people hit that kind of barrier and their body revolts violently. Vomiting, wild trips and hallucinations, muscle cramps. "I feel like death warmed up". They miss a days work with "the 'flu" Their football/netball/cricket/running game screws up so bad, they feel ashamed. They stop for a while. No more booze. They watch how much others drink carefully. They notice that the top guys or gals in the team drink carefully (or sometimes not at all). They hear the coach or their college prof urging them to study/work out, do healthy stuff, and sleep a lot. The message gets through, or doesn't. Most people get the message. Even heavy beer guzzlers take time off, "need a break, gotta work out, you guys are just too heavy sometimes" (i.e. I think there are a few in this room who aren't going to make it past 25 in sport or 40 in life)

You don't get those flashing red warning signs. You just feel a bit numb. Your body has adjusted, for the moment. It can do that for years. Some folks hit a bottle of hooch a day or more before this biological miracle finally collapses under its own weight. The rachet has been turned up a bit higher, but your body can still take more damage and not warn you the way it does most people. Your super genes are going to kill you. Unless you can find a way out.

No preaching here. No solutions on-line. Each to their own. I found mine 20 years ago, some people I met who had the same problem. I'm still alive. I still drink sometimes, but it gets worse with time. Tolerance is now so high I could kill myself in a few hours and still look OK until my heart stops or my liver gives up the ghost. Even spent a couple of years living on how much I could drink and still walk straight and do cartwheels or take an IQ or other mental test. Had to cheat by drinking some first, tolerance level way out of line. Brain didn't work the same way unless I had the alcohol. Then it was OK. Could still do the tricks. I needed the fuel boost to function well. I run like the wind after enough C2H5OH to kill most folks. Not many can run 2 miles in less than 11 minutes.I can, as long as I have a dose before. Otherwise I slow down becasue its stupid to push myself that hard at my age (>50)

Decide for yourself. No-one else will. Most folks will see you as a good person until the day the facade cracks.

Folks will miss you somewhat, at the end. You were always so hot, so ready for anything. A leader, often, once you learned the ropes. Or a good friend, full of energy, someone that you could depend on, who was always there. "Yeah, John/Cassy just good people. Sad!" "He went apeshit in my apartment one night and just passed out. He'd drunk 5 times what I could make without a hospital. Then cried the next day but no hangover, we did classes and he gave me his notes to copy" or "She won the championship match for us, never seen anyone play like that, so fast, so accurate, and she never sweated, damn! Why'd she go and die like that?"

Hope that helps a bit guys and gals.

I am 27 and have been a heavy drinker since 21, light drinker before, mainly due to it not being sold to me.

I drank a lot last night, 5th & 1/2 of gin, alone.

I woke up early, not hung over, but my face and hands/fingers have been numb all day, with no signs of wearing off.

I have had 3 bottles of water and good breakfast, so I do not think it is dehydration.

After reading everyone else's reply, I do think that OVER-Drinking may be the cause of this.

I hope this helps.