Hi, guys. My relative has been recently diagnosed malignant mesothelioma. I think that it is a serious form of cancer (which isn't?). I would like to know how malignant mesothelioma can be treated. Are there any possibilities? I will really appreciate your help with this. I was hoping to find some answers here.

Hello, there. Malignant mesothelioma is very hard for treatment. If it is spread to nearby organs (and usually it is at the moment of diagnosis), then it is impossible to remove the entire tumor surgically. Radiation therapy is also another possibility. But the location of such tumor makes impossible to place a larger amount of X rays to the tumor. Chemotherapy is also used. It can't cure mesothelioma, but there can be some improvements with some patients. Which therapy will be used depends on stage of tumor. It would be best to consult with a specialist, oncologist probably. I wish all the best to your relative. Bye!