I know that malignant metastatic melanoma that is stage IV too much serious condition to discus. Anyway, though I see there is no hope for my aunt, I have to ask few questions. I would like to know how those stages are classified with malignant melanoma. Also, I would like what is treatment for stage IV, if there is any possible treatment at all.

Once that malignant melanoma is found, a lot of tests will be done to find out if cancer cells have spread to other parts of the body. This procedure is called staging, when we discover how far this malignancy has spreads. Doctor needs to know the stage of the disease to plan appropriate treatment. Stage 0 means that abnormal cells are found only in the outer layer of skin cells and do not invade deeper tissues. Stage I is condition where cancer is found in the outer layer of the skin, and the upper part of the inner layer of skin. Also, it hasn’t spread to nearby lymph nodes, and is less then 1.5 millimeters. Stage II contains tumor sized 1.5 to 4 millimeters, spread to the lower part of the inner layer of the skin. Also it’s not spread to tissue below the skin or into lymph nodes. Stage III is tumor larger or smaller then 4 millimeters thick, spread to lower layers of the skin. Stage IV is tumor spreads to other organs or to lymph nodes far away from the original tumor. Treatment of stage IV may be surgery to remove lymph nodes that contain cancer, radiation therapy, clinical trial of systemic chemotherapy and biological therapy, and clinical trial of heated chemotherapy.