Howdy, guys. I would like to ask you something. My friend was recently diagnosed pleural mesothelioma. I must admit that I have never heard about this disease before. It would be great if someone could tell me how common this type of cancer is. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Hello, there. In general, malignant mesothelioma are rare tumors. Usually they are discovered in late stages since there are very few symptoms that are manifested. There are three major types of malignant mesothelioma. Those are pleural, peritoneal and pericardial. Pleural mesothelioma is the most common one between these three types. Approximately 75% of malignant mesothelioma cases are pleural ones. Some say that it is deadlier than peritoneal, others don't agree with this. I hope you friend will be all right. Good luck!