My friend’s mother was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. She is on alpha interferon i.v. It is still not clear if she’s going to have surgery. I’m interested in other treatment options for malignant melanoma. And what is the most effective type of treatment in middle stage of cancer? It has not been metastasized.

Immunotherapy with combination of interferones and interleukin-2 gives good results. Combination of immunotherapy and chemotherapy is even more effective, but has risk of treatment related toxicity. Generally, treatment options for malignant melanoma include radiation therapy, chemo, surgery, interferon therapy and experimental therapy. In experimental therapy new agents are used and patient’s agreement is needed in that case.

Hi there,
You have to understand that fact that there are several types of skin cancer, and everyone of them is specific in its own way. Melanoma is most dangerous skin cancer because it can lead to the death. This is a leading death cause from skin disease. The treatment is necessary, and it has to start as soon as the cancer is noticed. I think that the best option is the removal of the cancer with the surgery. After that your doctor will prescribe chemotherapy or radiation therapy. You have to talk to your doctor about other treatment options as well. I hope this helped you in any way.

All the best,
Danella