Hi. My Grandma has supra ventricular tachycardia. I know it is something about the heart, but I am not sure what it is. She feels dizzy and sometimes she can`t catch her breath. A doctor said there is no need for treatment, but I am really worried. Does anybody know what is supra ventricular tachycardia?

Hi. It means a fast heart rate. SVT episodes usually start suddenly and they last for a few minutes, or several hours. It is not a common condition. Dizziness and palpitations, breathlessness and fast pulse rate (140-200 per minute) are the symptoms of SVT. Episodes of SVT are usually short and no treatment is necessary. If they last longer, some meds may be prescribed. Electric shock treatment is rarely needed.

SVT can and should be treated when it causes the patient to be symptomatic. Especially when the person is dizzy (to prevent a fall and possible injury).

My mom had SVT and it can be very serious. Her heart rate got so high several times that she had to go to the hospital and be given a medication to stop her heart in order for it to beat properly again. They had said a few times that had she not made it to the hospital when she did, she would have died. Her heart rate was exceeding 200 bpm. There is a surgery that can treat and completely fix any problems associated with SVT. My mom had a procedure called a ablation where they cartarized a vessel in her heart causing the rapid heart rate. It has now been nearly a year and she has been completely free from all the problems caused by her SVT. I recommend anyone with severe problems to get treated immediately. If you doctor is not willing to help you out, find a new doctor!

hey my name is latiana i am going though the same thing my doctors give me information about supra ventricular tachycardia is she on beta blocker i would like for you to call me my number is 336 266 5298 i can send u information that i have about svt