My husband was rushed to the hospital the other day because he was feeling pretty bad and he felt like he could not breathe normally. He was diagnosed with ventricular tachycardia. Can I get more info about it?

Ventricular tachycardia is a difficult clinical problem for the doctor and its evaluation and treatment are complicated. The reason for this is that it often occurs in life-threatening situations that dictate rapid diagnosis and treatment. Ventricular tachycardia is defined as three or more beats of ventricular origin in succession at a rate greater than hundred beats per minute. Ventricular tachycardia can be sustained or nonsustained. Sustained refers to an episode that lasts at least 30 seconds. It requires termination by antiarrhythmia drugs, antitachycardia pacing techniques or electrical cardioversion. In nonsustained ventricular tachycardia episodes are shorter, three beats or longer, and they terminate spontaneously. Ventricular tachycardia affects the diseased heart, and it is usually associated with coronary artery disease. When ventricular tachycardia is sustained but hemodynamically stable it is initially treated with procainamide, lidocaine or bretylium. I hope your husband will be ok.