I saw a post here that if you have Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia, don't worry & just live a normal life. I totally disagree with this. I was just recently diagnosed and have gone through quite a bit of testing and will be meeting with an Oncologist tomorrow to talk about Tamoxifen. I don't think I'm a candidate because I've had a blood clot before and the drug can actually induce clots, but if you have ADH you really should be more proactive than your average Joe with testing, nutrition & physical activity.

I was told by my surgeon that people with ADH are at 4 to 5 times higher risk of getting breast cancer. If you have a sister that currently has breast cancer, you're at 2 times higher. I'd say that's pretty significan to just ignore & go about your business. Even though the poster has had this condition for 10 years, it doesn't mean she/he is totally out of the woods and should be more proactive in their response to others concerned about it.

Anyway, off my soap box, my question to someone here is:

How common is Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia? What is the percentage of women in our population that has this. I do plan to ask the Oncologist tomorrow, but wanted to know sooner than that for my own peace of mind, or not.

Does anyone here know?

Thanks!

i was recently dx with atypical hyperplasia i work in the medical filed and had my mammo\stereo at my place of work. went to umass for my lumpectomy cannot take tamoxifen due to strong family hx of clots i was told to watch my weight,excersise,very little to no alcohal always get my yearly digital mammo and possible mri we are all at increased risk as we get older family hx of mother only matters if she was of a certain age same holds true for sister ect. i know i am at more of an increased risk than some woman but i cannot let it keep me a prisoner i will be pro active and beyond that plan to lead a normal life until otherwise told different i was also told these cells couold have sat in my breast all my life and never became more than what they were