Hello everyone. I have a friend who wants to buy a puppy. I tried to convince him to adopt a puppy since I can’t understand how can anyone buy a dog when there is a shelter full of dogs waiting for someone to adopt them. The main reason why he is against adopting a dog from the shelter is that he has a friend who adopted a puppy from the shelter which turned out to have parvovirus and eventually died. I tried to convince him this is not going to happen to him and that this is not at all common but he still doesn’t like the idea.Can someone tell me how common is parvovirus among puppies?

Unfortunately this virus is highly contagious and it is very common among all dogs. Puppies are at the highest risk especially if they have roundworms or some internal intestinal parasites, protozoa (such as Coccidia) or some bacteria.

The good news is, puppies get their vaccine beginning at 8 weeks of age. That does not eliminate the possibility for them to catch this disease but it sure reduces it.

Some breeds are more susceptible to this virus, so he should pay attention to that while choosing his new friend.

I think that all puppies in the shelters should be vaccinated, at least that’s the case in my town.

This was the main reason why I don’t still have a dog. I am scared and worried, since I was reading a lot about this and I found out that parvo is very common in puppies. I am really scared of parvo, but I love dogs so much. I know that you need to vaccinate your puppy, and you need to visit vet very often, especially if this dog is from shelter, because we all know that those places are not so clean, and some puppies can get it in here. It is full of bacteria. I think that if you take a good care of your dog, you should not be afraid. Maybe I will learn this one day. Maybe than I will buy a dog :)

Thank you both. I believe that in this shelter all the puppies are being vaccinated too. I don’t know how did it happen but apparently his puppy didn’t get the vaccine. Or maybe he did. I also read somewhere that it is possible for dogs to get the vaccine and still caught this virus. Like you said. The vaccine in that case makes the dog more resistant and it gives him higher chances to survive. I  had no idea that this virus is that common. I was hoping for some different answers. Thank you both again. I now need to find the breeds that are at higher risk so I can tell him what breeds to avoid.

Hey. Yes, the dogs in shelter are vaccinated as well, because they are able to catch more bacterial infection in that place. They are in bigger risk to catch some virus as well. About the parvo generally, yes, puppies have more chance to catch pravo, but also they can avoid it. For example, my dog never had parvo, and I have him since he was a little puppy. I was always at the vets office because that was the only way to learn more about this disease. He told me that I should bring him, that I need to vaccinate him, so I did it. My dog never was extremely sick. 

Hey.

My knowledge about parvo is based on second-hand experiences, but I hope I can contribute to this topic a bit. Yes, the puppies are at highest risk of getting a parvo, but you can do a lot to prevent that.

The vaccination is the most important part. If that dog is already vaccinated in the shelter (there is a pretty good chance he is), than the main job is done. The next important part is to keep your dog away from other dogs that are suspected to have or already had parvo. It is highly contagious and you don’t need to risk anything.

If you obey these rules, you don’t need to worry.

Hello.

Well, it is very common. I had experience with this, with almost every puppy that I had :/ I just don’t know why, why this happens to me every time, but that is so sad and painful for pet owner. My last puppy was diagnosed with parvo as well. I just can’t describe you that feeling. My little Lora had only two months when she was diagnosed with parvo, and I was not sure how this happened, because I vaccinated her. Later, I realized that she had some contact with neighbor dog, and she caught parvo from him.

I hear it’s very common among puppies. My dog has parvovirus right now. When my vet told me that, I was terrified. I couldn’t sleep the first two nights. I read on the internet that it is a serious disease and that it leaves poor survival chances for the dogs who catch it, especially if they’re puppies.
My dog is 5 years old and luckily he is taking it pretty well. My vet says that the worst has already passed.
Since this virus became so easily transferable and often deadly, I think that vaccination is a MUST. Especially for puppies who are still weak and fragile.