Hi, I am a twenty six years old woman. A few months ago I became pregnant. During the pregnancy everything was just the way it was suppose to be. But now there is a problem. Fortunately it is affecting me and not the baby. I have a ductal hyperplasia but do not know what it means. Doctor has scheduled another appointment. However, I am very nervous and would like to know the possible causes. Can you help me?

Hi, first of all you should not jump to any conclusions. Hyperplasia means that there is an increased growing of the tissue caused by larger number of cells. Since you have a ductal hyperplasia, it is the duct that is affected. Duct is a part trough which milk gets from milk glands to the nipple. It is not unusual for the parts of the breast, or the entire breast, to get larger during and after the pregnancy. Because this is your case, you should not worry too much. Naturally, you will need to attend the appointment the doctor has scheduled. He is the only one who can determine with the complete accuracy your condition. This is mostly important because of the fact that there could be a more serious condition involved.