Hi, I am very worried. Couple of days ago, while showering, I noticed some kind of lump in my left breast. The same day I went to see a doctor. She did some tests and apparently I have a cyst. Further testing was made. I had the cyst aspirated and the fluid was sent to analysis. The results show that I have atypical cells in cyst fluid. Before I go back to the doctor, I was wondering if you can tell me something more about this.

Hi, you have not told me specifications of the cyst fluid. If it is clear yellow, the cyst will probably go away, and this means that the cyst was benign. The problem is the atypical cells that were found in this fluid. That is why further analysis of the cyst, its fluid and these atypical cells are needed. I can understand that you are worried about the results. When you hear that something is abnormal you immediately think cancer. However, as I said before the breast cyst doesn’t always have to be malignant. Sometimes hormone imbalance can cause the formation of a cyst. But sometimes the cyst can indeed show there is something more serious going on. That is why the doctor ordered new tests. And even if it turns out that the cyst is a malignant, there is treatment. First of all the cyst will be surgically removed and microscopically examined. If he thinks it is necessary the doctor will prescribe you with chemo therapy or radiation therapy. I hope that it will all turn out for the best.

I have a lot of breast cysts. I had a mammography, sonogram - both came back normal but I have a very large cyst. I decided on my own that I wanted it aspirated. I had it aspirated and it came back atypical cells.
Then I had an mri and it came back normal. However, I have to have
the one aspirated cyst surgically removed and biopsed. The doctor assures me that I don't have cancer but why is he going to surgically remove this cyst and have it biopsied? Also, I have about 20-30 other cysts. Shouldn't they be aspirated as well. The doctor said he can't aspirate all of them but if one was atypical, couldn't they all be or worse maybe they could be cancerous. I am relieved my mri came back normal but I still don't fee reassured.

Thanks