Hi, I have a question about pnemonia that I would like answered. A friend of mine got diagnosed with walking pnemonia few days ago, he got some antibiotics and returned home for home treatment. Before he went to the doctor he was feeling really bad, he had chills, fever, and he was very ill. I thought that they were going to keep them in the hospital for a longer period of time but they didn’t. Can somebody tell me what is walking pnemonia and is it contagious and dangerous, is it safe for me to visit him?

Many people think that pnemonia is a serious disease and that people who have it remain in hospital for a long period of time but it is not true in most cases. Most cases of pnemonia are caused by the bacteria mycoplasma pnemoniae which is a very common cause of respiratory tract infections in humans. That form of pnemonia is called “walking” because people don’t have to be taken care of in hospitals, they can be treated at home and usually treatment of walking pnemonia requires nothing more than lots of rest. It is rarely treated with antibiotics and it is done so only in more severe cases. The more dangerous form of pnemonia is viral pnemonia. That represents a great problem because there are no medicines that can fight a viral infection, only then people who have it are forced to stay in the hospital for a longer period of time. Mycoplasma pnemoniae is very contagious so it is very possible that you will get it too if you go and visit your friend so it is better to hold any visitation plans until your friend starts feeling better. if you have any more questions be free to post them here, we will be glad to help you if we can.

contagious period for walking pneumonia

don't get too confident, a young girl in my home town just died because of walking pnemonia. She felt sick on a friday, the hospital treated her on saturday, and she died in the helicopter while being air lifted a different hospital on monday.

didnt Jim Henson die of walking pneomia?

How were you ladies feeling when you decided to go to the ER/Dr.? I'm about 14 weeks pregnant and am getting over the flu plus a whopper of a stomach virus. My ribs actually hurt when I cough, sneeze, or laugh and my chest feels a little tight. Am I over-reacting? ?

Guest wrote:

How were you ladies feeling when you decided to go to the ER/Dr.? I'm about 14 weeks pregnant and am getting over the flu plus a whopper of a stomach virus. My ribs actually hurt when I cough, sneeze, or laugh and my chest feels a little tight. Am I over-reacting? :?:

get to a dr pronto - sounds like you have pleurisy where the pleura, the tissue covering your lungs is inflamed/infected. I had pnemonia and the pleurisy and every time I coughed it felt like I was being socked with brass knuckles.

Guest wrote:

contagious period for walking pneumonia

After being very sick for 3 weeks, with what I thought was just a cold I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia on Wed.. (today is Sunday) my dr gave me a "Z-pack" (antibiotics) There's only 5 days of medication .... is that enough? I am feeling better, but will it get worse again if I am finished with my antibiotics and the pneumonia isn't gone yet?

beerman wrote:

After being sick with a bad cold for 3 weeks, I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia on Wed. (today is Sunday.) My Dr. gave me a "Z-pack" and I just finished taking them today. I feel better, but if the pneumonia isn't gone, will I get worse ?

I have a friend whose daughter who was just diagnosed 2 days ago with walking pneumonia. My friend and I are supposed to go away for a weekend with friends, but I'm worried about the possibility of my friend having pneumonia since she has been with her daughter and don't think that she should go for the weekend and chance getting the rest of us sick. Am I being "overly worried" or should I be concerned?

My daughter and I have been sick the flu and respretory infections for almost 2 months, we thought we were over everything and she started coughing thru the night for the last 2 nights, I made an apt for her today and come to find out she has walking pneumonia, he gave her AZITHROMYCIN and said for her to just stay home one day. She is brusing real easy what is that about, and really pale

Laura113 wrote:

Guest wrote:

contagious period for walking pneumonia

Hi Newbie,
I have been told that the Z pack or Azithromycin stays in your body fighting the infection for 10 days even though you only take it for 5 days. Hope this helps.

Quote:

pneumonia is NOT as contagious as you may think, people around others with pneumonia may get the cough or something like that, but it is very unlikely that you will actually get pneumonia considering that depends on your own lungs, and not someone else's. My 6 year old sister was diagnosed with Pneumonia just yesterday (Monday) after coming home the night before having had high temperatures, chills, and coughs all day, She had just gotten over a cold, so both me, and my mom, suspected it be more than another cold. I did some research and that is how I gave you my answer.

iwas diagnosed woth pnemonia beguinning of december i had 2 courses of strong antibiotics i was taken to hospital when i was diagnosed id been bed riden for 1 week i could not get out i felt so ill pains in my back aches all ov er and the cough from hell i thought i had the flu bad at hospital my blood pressure was 43 over 60 and the nurse sad to me i dont know wat you survive on but that is very low, even though i was very illi was sent home 7 hours after being admited i still have a bad chest and i think i am getting worse again i was not told wat sort of pnemonia i had.... but i was that ill i thought i was going to die .. the pains have returned in my back the shortnes of breath the racing of my heart the confusion after doing a shopping trip of an hour i have to go to bed as i feel very tired... do you think i should be going back to hospital????

Laura113 wrote:

Guest wrote:

contagious period for walking pneumonia

Answer it might or might not get worse but wont get any better. 5 days of zpack is not enough you need 8-10 days of acophenomen ( something like sounds like from what I can remember)