Hello. I'm 25 year old female and I have one beautiful daughter.
Just recently she has came home crying because supposedly her best friend has been diagnosed with some type of pneumonia called walking pneumonia.
I really don’t know how serious this really is but I know that the little girl is missing from school for already a week.
What is so different about this pneumonia and what microorganisms are causing it? I'm also interested could my little girl end up with this pneumonia just for being there with her friend. Please help me to understand this stuff!

Hi. I would really like to help you but I don’t know a lot about all this. All I know about this type of pneumonia is that is not that serious and that you have nothing to be worried about.
Do you know why it is called “walking” pneumonia? It refers to a type of pneumonia that, even if untreated, would not crush someone to a hospital. People sometimes don’t even feel a thing.
Three bacteria are causing this type of pneumonia- Legionella pneumophila, Chlamidia pneumoniae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae!
I suggest you to keep your daughter away from her friend until she recovers completely because the disease spreads through breathing air coughed by someone who is infected. Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Azithromycin and Tetracyclines are often prescribe for this pneumonia!