I have some doubts that my teenage son and daughter could be having some sort of eating disorder. She is 15 and he is 17 and despite the fact that he is a male I think both of them are obsessed with food and counting calories and my son is also obsessed with compulsive exercising. I always thought the females are the ones who usually get diagnosed with some type of eating disorder but I am here in sort of a specific situation so I really need to know how I recognize eating disorders in my teens. Thanks!

You need to watch them carefully so if you notice that they avoid eating with others and are obsessed with eating calories that could be the first signs that could help you recognize eating disorders in your teens- plus the situation may get even worse and is usually manifested in food obsession even if they are thin they think are fat and also man could also suffer from eating disorders which is usually accompanied with compulsive exercising which is your son's case-that is obvious. Also if you notice your teenage spends lot of time in the toilet this could also be one of the signs of eating disorders-that is where they induce vomiting or are taking laxatives so all this demands frequent toilet use. Also they may feel depressed and nervous and the girl may even lose her period and have brittle hair and nails. So if you recognize those symptoms in your teens that are the certain sign they could be having some sort of eating disorders whether it is bulimia or anorexia nervosa so in both cases medical help is required.