I am curious to hear what causes eating disorder? The thing is that I am suspecting my teenage daughter could be having some eating disorder for I have noticed some signs lately such as obsessive calorie counting and food obsession and the thing is she is not fat at all especially regarding the fact that she is professional dancer. I am pretty much concerned over this and am wondering what causes eating disorder and how it could be for I was always paying attention on positive lifestyle approach to the food but lately I have also noticed she refuses eating in company and had become isolated pretty much.

Hi! The exact cause of eating disorder is not precisely known but it is pretty much clear that factors such as genetic, psychological and social accompanied with family environment could trigger eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia nervosa. And plus your daughter is dancing and that is the area where the tiny figure is needed and required so much and also some anxiety disorder could trigger so one of the main cause of eating disorder is this psychological background but also social aspect is one to be blamed here for advertising, movie and tv are the ones very responsible here in causing eating disorders.

Hi, As someone who just finished getting over anorexia I can honestly tell you to be careful around your daughter when aproaching the topic of an eating disorder. From your description she falls into the profile. The profile of a typical anorexic is between 13-25, female, athlete/dancer/model, perfectionist, hardworker, etc. The sudden isolation also hints that there is something seriously wrong. I would visit a docter with her and ask their opinion. If she is diagnosed anorexic please try to get her to a dietician and a therapist. Together they can get her back on track before she falls too far. Strangely enough those who are quite thin are still prone to anorexcia through the pressure of dancing, personal issues of self doubt or insecurities, or biological factors. Good Luck

Eating disorders can be caused by various things in life, such as:
- Bullying.
- Attention seeking
- No money to get food
- Mental problem
- Family problems
- Abuse- verbal - physical- mental.
- Trying to fit in with society
- Being to ignorant and young to realise how damaging it is and thinking eating little is the thing to do!