Hello! My brother has a daughter who has eating disorder. I was shocked when he called me yesterday and talked to me about it. I thought his family is perfect. They have good marriage, two good children, beautiful house and good jobs. They were the picture of a happy family to me. I don’t understand how this could happen. What could be the source of eating disorder?

Hello! There are many different reasons that could be the source for an eating disorder. I think that none is really sure. People who develop an eating disorder are mostly girls between the ages of 14 and 18. During this time of their lives many girls don't feel as though they have much control over anything and by controlling their own bodies they feel as though they can regain some control. It is noticed that children who develop eating disorders can also be depressed or anxious and there are some experts who thinks that most people with eating disorders may have obsessive-compulsive disorder. Also it is noticed that eating disorders may run in families. Family influence is very important but there also suggestions that there may be a genetic component to certain behaviors.