Hi, a friend of mine told me that she thinks that hers and mine daughter are suffering from anorexia. I have told her that she is being silly because our daughters are only ten years old. I have heard about eating disorders in teenage children, but I have never heard that these problems may occur in children as young as ours. My friend has told me that she caught them talking about their weight and calories. I still think that she might have misinterpreted the conversation, but I would like to inform myself about child eating disorders. I am mostly interested in the symptoms of these conditions.

Hi, it is true that most of the eating disorders start in the teenage years. However, these disorders can be seen in children your daughter's age and even younger. All of the eating disorders are actually mental disorders. There are a couple of things that can show you whether your child suffers from one of them, even though she has healthy weight. You should pay more attention to your daughter's diet. Does she skip some of her meals or refuses to eat certain types of food? Does she sometimes talk about being overweight? You should also check if your daughter keeps a diary about her weight loss and her diet. If you notice any of these signs your daughter might be suffering from some kind of eating disorders. You should first talk to her to determine all of the facts and then take her to a psychiatrist who will determine the right course of treatment because eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia are life threatening.