Hello! My daughter is being diagnosed with anorexia nervosa and is about to start with some eating disorders psychology treatment and I don't seem to get how could psychology treatment help with dealing with eating disorders. I thought this is a food problem that requires actually some nutritional help or something like that so I am curious what this eating disorders psychology treatment is about?

First of all psychology treatment is the most important part of eating disorders treatment that usually comes along with nutritional counseling. And it is not like eating disorders are nutritional problems for basically it is very psychologically connected with strong psychological background for it could also easily trigger the depression and anxiety disorder so it is very common for it is what could help her recognize what are the healthy eating habits and that is actually how she would create a positive approach to food and life in all. And this eating disorders psychology treatment usually involves family therapy also for having the family support is the base of effective eating disorders psychology treatment so basically dealing with eating disorders is not a nutritional specialist's problem despite the fact it is food related –the truth is that eating disorders are actually caused but some psychological and social factors combination so that is why eating disorders are usually treated with proper psychotherapy.