Hi. Since I was a kid I was overweight. I was always one step ahead of my friends. It is not something that I am proud of, at least not in this case, but this is who I am. So, I don't know am I overweight or I am dealing with some eating disorder.  I was reading some literature on the internet and I saw that my case is pretty much similar to binge eating disorder. Can you tell me is binge eating disorder the same as overeating? How can you treat it? And is there any chance that you can set diagnose alone, without visiting a doctor?

Celebrity

I still do believe that this has nothing to do with the anything. I am not an expert, but that is my opinion. People are eating wat too much because they are trying to deal with the certain issue. After they eat so many things, they feel only shame. Nothing else. Sometimes, some small tricks can help in treating this, but sometimes the help is required. So, yes. It can be treated. There are several ways, but I still do believe that the most effective is one that is connected with doctors. They are the only one who can make some test to see what is the best for you when it comes to treatment. 

well, forgive me, but I think that there is no difference between it, since you are eating a lot and that is one of the characteristics of this eating disorder.  when someone tells you that he or she is diagnosed with binge eating disorder, this can mean that thousands and thousands of calories are consumed without the use of compensatory behaviors. if this is not overeating, I really don't know what is. maybe this is not true, I can't tell since I am not an expert, but I can say that this is a mental disorder and that needs to be treated. 

Celebrity

Well, I think that I don't agree because generally some people love to eat more, in some segments in their life and that is overheating, if you ask me. On the other hand, there are those people who have this mental disorder and that is it. They just can't control themselves. And they need to seek help. While those people who occasionally eat too much in certain periods of its lives, they can stop without seeking professional help. That is my opinion. If you have some experience to share and to tell that my opinion is wrong, please let me know :)

Hm, I would definitely agree that there are some similar symptoms, but I can't say is this the same. I had two friends who had exactly the same symptoms. One was diagnosed with binge eating disorder, while another one was not. So, some of the symptoms that are the same are - you are eating faster than usual. You are eating past the point of fullness, you ate before and you want to eat more even if you are not hungry. Also, a big problem is when you are eating and you are not physically hungry. If you are hiding from other people, that is the problem as well. You are always scared of getting fat. When you eat whatever you want, you are feeling guilty.

It is pretty much the same, not the same, but pretty much. Some individuals, who recognize that they have problems and who seek treatment for compulsive eating, also may be identified as being a food addict-referring to a preoccupation with the “substance” of food. It is, unfortunately, the same as people who are dealing with alcohol or drugs. You need to eat more, you want to eat more, even if there is no need for it. Yes, there are the treatments which are really successful. It is usually some therapy, but you need to visit your doctor to tell you which therapy fits you. 

Hi there guys.
I think that I have heard this question that often that I did some researches alone to get some conclusion. Well, the question is those two things the same will probably remain debatable for some. There are so many similar symptoms and so many similar things about it that some doctors will claim that this is the same, while others will tell you that there is a difference. But, as a clinician who works with those who are struggling, are trying to help those people, I think that they will usually prescribe the same therapy for both issue, it doesn't matter is it binge eating disorder or overeating. They will prescribe some therapy such as psychotherapy or mindful - based cognitive therapy. Both are helpful!