Hey, my sister has an eating disorder. She was fighting this alone, without letting us know that, but I found out about this. I want to help her, so I started to talk to her, telling her that I do know about this issue. Anyway, she told me that she has this binge eating disorder, and I have never heard about this one. I know only for bulimia and anorexia from the shows...but that is it. I want to know more about this disorder that she is dealing with. What are the causes of binge eating disorder? Let me know. 

Hello. Did she talk to anyone about this? I am asking this because it seems that the exact cause of binge eating disorder is still unknown. Generally, there are some different factors that are thought to influence the development of this disorder. One of the most common factors is actually biological. You should be aware that biological abnormalities, such are some of the hormonal irregularities or genetic mutations, may be associated with compulsive eating and food addiction. I strongly believe that there is some test that can determine if this the main cause, which can lead to seeking the proper therapy. 

Celebrity

I am very sorry to hear this as well. Many factors are included as you already know. But, if you ask me when I was reading something about it, I can say that I blame social and cultural causes in the most of the cases. Those are some traumatic situations that patients are dealing with and they usually include a history of sexual abuse, which also can increase the risk of binge eating. Also, persons subject to critical comments about their bodies or weight may be especially vulnerable to binge eating disorder, do I have to say that this is very often as well. I don't know are there some tests that can show what the exact cause is. I think that there is no such test, but sure, you can always ask a doctor for more information. 

Hi, I believe that you are right about this one. It is very difficult to determine what the cause of binge eating disorder actually is. Yes, those are the possible causes, and no matter which one is in the case of your sister, you should know that professional support, help, and treatment from health professionals specializing in the treatment of binge eating disorders, always need to include psychiatrists, nutritionists, and therapists. If you include all of them, this definitely can be the most effective way to address binge eating disorder. Now, it also all depends on how good you are with your sister. If you are totally OK with her, you should tell her that you want to help her. 

Good day. First, thank you. I have to tell you that I am not that good with her. I mean, we love each other, we are OK, but we never talked about some problems in our lives, it seems that we were struggling with them all the time alone. I don't believe that she had some traumatic experience in the past when we were kids, so I practically need to shut down a possibility that she was sexually abused or similar. Anyway, I was able to see her change when she was in the Senior High, but she didn't talk a lot about it. She was OK after a while and somehow, if she had some issue, it started to manifest now, in the older age. I don't know how to tell her that she needs to seek help. She is aware that she has a problem, but she refuses that we talk with her about it.

Celebrity

Look, I know that it is hard, especially if she doesn't want to talk about it, but you need to know that you need to try to talk to her, to include everyone who can help her, because it is necessary to concentrate on healing from the emotional triggers that may be causing binge eating. In that case, she is going to have proper guidance in establishing healthier coping mechanisms. That mechanism will help her deal with stress, depression, anxiety, and some other problems that this disorder may cause. Try to talk to her, try to tell her that you are there with her. 

My neighbor had this disorder. I don't know what is going on now with her because she moved and I have never heard of her anymore.  But, it doesn't have to be because of some problems in the past, it doesn't have to be because some person was abused in a certain period of the life because I know that so many people with binge-eating disorder have a history of dieting. How is that possible? Well,  some people, girls usually,  have dieted to excess dating back to childhood. Dieting or restricting calories during the day may trigger an urge to binge eat. This all can lead to depression. And this depression leads to certain problems and I am sure that binge - eating disorder is one of those disorders. 

Hey, OK, I am very worried right now...Why? Because I am eating a lot, like every hour, even if I am not hungry, even if I am full and even if I know that I can't eat anymore. I thought that this is a PMS, but it seems to me that this PMS lasts very long. I have to admit that I have problems with my family, because of those problems my boyfriend dumped me and I found a save in the foods. In so huge amount of foods. Now, I don't know am I in danger to have this binge eating disorder or I think too much about it? I don't know how to recognize the symptoms of it...I don't know.

Celebrity

I am glad that you asked about those symptoms. Look, most of the people with binge-eating disorder are overweight or obese. But that doesn't mean that you can't be a normal weight. Some of the symptoms are:

1. you are eating a huge amount of foods in some specific time, such as every two hours, for example,
  2. you are eating too much, you are sick, but you can't control yourself,
  3. you are eating when you are not hungry,
  4. you eat very fast like somebody is going to steal a meal from you,
  5. you are eating alone, hoping that no one can see you,
  6. after you ate so many things, you are feeling ashamed and bad because of it,
  7. after this, you are thinking about diet programs, etc.

If you have at least three of those, contact your doctor.