I am a 42 year old woman and I'm not sure I have an alcohol intolerance. I can have a couple of drinks and really enjoy them. About 2 hours after my last drink, I'll get anxious and restless. It seems by body is having trouble breaking it down. I can't go near caffeine in any form and sugary and processed foods can "hype" me up. I have a "love/hate" relationship with alcohol, as I enjoy drinking. Sometimes the problem is really bad and other times it is hardly there. Probably feel it 80% of the time. Unfortunately I drink thinking it will be the lucky 20%. I'm looking at allergy treatments but not sure if they will benefit me. I would appreciate any feedback.

Hi Julie,

I am a 41 year old woman that has very similar symptoms that you have. Unfortunately, mine has gotten to the point where I can't drink at all because I feel terrible a few hours after (heart palpitations, anxiousness, chest feels tight). It only takes one glass to feel the symptoms. I've found out through a very good doctor that my adrenals are exhausted and that my body can't handle the alcohol. He's put me on supplements and I have to watch what I eat too. I can't have caffeine, sugar(very minimal), processed foods, anything with MSG and refined foods.

Have you had your adrenals tested? My primary physician and endocrinologist did not do a thorough exam. I saw another endocrinologist out of pocket and I had a saliva test done which determined my adrenal fatigue. Maybe you could look into that. Also, another consideration is that your hypoglycemic?

Hope this helps. I am having a thorough allergy test done next week to rule out any other cause of my symptoms. Ofcourse, ths is another out of pocket expense that my insurance doesn't cover but its worth it in the long run.

I usually feel my symptoms after I go to bed and try to sleep. My heart races, I am anxious, and feel really sweaty hot. As much as I like to have a few drinks after a rough day or to celebrate I'm coming to the conclusion I can't drink at all if I want to enjoy a good night's sleep and function the next day.

I have the same symptoms. I usually feel fine while drinking two or three drinks, but once I try to go to bed, my heart starts racing, my head spins, my stomach hurts, and my body temperature rises. I cannot fall or stay asleep. Depending on what I ate, I may make several trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The first time this happened, I thought it was a result of something I ate, now that it has happened a few times, I am starting to see a pattern.

What some of you are experiencing (heart palpatations, sweating, etc.) is from your body not being able to biotransform alcohol into vinegar so you get an allergy or histamine effect when you consume even small amounts of alcohol. This syndrome is prominent in people of Asian descent and also of Native American descent.

This all sounds too familiar to me. I'm 21 and I've had the same symptoms as you describe, plus violent shaking and lower abdominal pain. I find that 2 paracetamol rid me of the symptoms for a few hours but they come back again later, the last attack, including shaking went on throughout the night for about 6 hours. The abdominal pain and high temperature can carry on for days afterwards.

I've been to see my GP and she told me that I'm suffering from panic attacks, but I find this strange as it is only triggered by alcohol, however it doesn't happen every time I drink. I feel like I've been cheated a bit, as every time it happens I feel like I might die, but I've been offered nothing to cure or calm the effects and told next time it happens to go back, however since it tends to happen overnight (it can even come on while I'm asleep) so this isn't really an option. I was simply told "if you could just control your breathing it would go away", does anyone here find that helps? It doesn't seem to do anything for me. It's getting so severe that last time it happened my mum was there and wanted to take me to casualty. If anyone could offer any help or advice I'd be so grateful.
Thanks,
Sian

recently i was diagnosed with alcohol intolerance & that the alcohol was also stripping my throat of its protective lining. i first realised something was wrong with me when my dad put whisky in the coke & i fainted, but i tried some vodka & the same thing happened, except my throat felt on fire, i got all these tests done & was diagnosed. i have never really like any form of alcohol so it hasnt really fazed me, but i still have to check ingredients & stuff.

I can definitely relate. I have been experiencing similar symptoms for the past 8mos. Prior to this point, alcohol did not affect me. I can consume up to 3 beers without any affects. Anything more than that results in me waking up 2-3 hours after going to bed. Although I want nothing more but to sleep, I am wide awake. My heart is racing and I am simply sick to my stomach. I cannot concentrate on anything (tv, reading, etc.). Basically, I just ride it out until the morning when my symptoms start to improve (sometimes 8 hrs after it starts). It is very scary. My doc suggested that I was hypoglycemic. This made sense;however, I do not think this is the case. I make sure I eat before going to bed and if I wake up with these symptoms I try to drink juice, etc. My doc's suggestions have not worked and I have not been back to the doctor since. Drinking is just not worth the after affects. However, I miss having the opportunity to unwind.

Hey guys you might have celiac's disease. Head to your doctor and get a blood test.

I have the same symptoms and I was 32 when it began to really affect me. I can't drink at all now. I wake up with my heart racing and if I step out of bed my heart rate will only increase (hospitalized with 170bpm) . I have shaking, feel cold and nauseated. If I eat a few pieces of candy it subsides and then I can have some sort of protien to feel somewhat normal again. I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia but the alcohol (and potatoes) seem to trigger my episodes. My doc told me that my blood sugar readings never reached high levels. I have monitored them myself and they rarely reach 130.

Prior to noticing my symptoms I had taken several rounds of antibiotics for a persistent infection. I sometimes wonder if that played a part in this because the antibiotic I took was said to make someone severely sick if they drank while taking it. I did not drink while taking it of course. I also took one that was said to be responsible for liver damage. I wonder if this could have something to do with the sudden symptoms.

I just cannot agree more with what everyone here has said! This past weekend was a prime example; I had about 1 1/2 beers, felt fine while drinking, but when I got in bed, my heart just started racing. I could see my heart pounding and my pajamas lifting with every beat. It took me hours to finally fall asleep - MISERABLE!

Someone posted about the effects happening 80% of the time, and each time, hoping this time would be the other 20% of the time - I CAN SO RELATE.

I think adrenal fatigue and hypoglycemia play a part in our symptoms ... I'm just not sure what the cure is - other than not rinking (which is what I do, 90% of the time). %-)

I think adrenal fatigue and hypoglycemia play a part in our symptoms ... I'm just not sure what the cure is - other than not drinking (which is what I do, 90% of the time). %-)

I'm 20 years old and have only been drunk only 3 times. 2 out of the 3 times were completely drunk and both times i've experienced all the same symptoms for up to a week. Espescially nausau/dizzyness and not being able to focus. It was MISERABLE. Should I see a doctor?

hi Julie D. I was happy to see your posting. I am just coming out of a 4 day reaction to one and a half glass of good quality beer. Like you I was not drunk or had the reaction while I was drinking it was as you said a couple hrs or so after I drink. I felt like death doorstep the last few days, couldnt function It is as if my liver cannot metabolise the alcohol. That is very mysterious because a week before that I had a guiness with absolutely no side effects. It isnt all the time that is the odd thing but when it strikes I vow I will never drink again. Did you ever get a diagnosos? I was so glad to see these expressions because this time I really thought I must have cirrosis of the liver or something really terrible since I also have high colesterol and my brother died of liver failure.

Im a 44 yr old woman who has had the same symptoms for 3 years now. It was a bit disappointing because I would like to unwind on the weekends but have been forced into complete abstince. About 6 months ago, I noticed them same reactions to coffee, ice cream and chocolate (shoot me now). A few weeks ago I had an "attack" during the evening and went to the hospital. They did a bunch of tests and found out I have gallstones. Researching the net, I found a few articles that discuss alcohol and food intolerance. **Sorry to get personal, but a big indicator of gallstones is a change in color of your poop.** It should be brown. Mine has been yellow-orange (clay) colored for awhile but my doctore never asked.

My doctor told me to consult a surgeon but I'm opting to keep my gallbladder and get it healthy again. I just finished a "flush" at home where I expelled about 20-30 stones. I'm changing my diet and exercising more. Google "gallstones, olive oil flush, epsom salts".

Good luck!