I'm a 33 year old woman and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was in my early teens. I have followed a healthy diet and exercise regularly. I'm curious about whether it is okay to drink alcohol with type 1 diabetes. Seems like these two things don't go hand in hand. However, as I'm getting older, I really would enjoy a glass of wine from time to time. Is this possible. Does anyone know? You know my doctor never talked to me about this but perhaps because I was so young when I was diagnosed. I hope someone has good news for me.

Hello, I certainly can sympathize with you. I'm very much in love with wine and like to have a glass in the evening to relax with. I know it's difficult having to give up so much when your diabetic it can sometimes be overwhelming. I'm diabetic and I do believe a glass of wine works well so long as you are on a healthy diet and monitor your blood sugar levels regularly. Just keep in mind that alcohol produces low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Make sure not to drink to much (just a glass). If you have a glass after dinner, these two things should complement each other. Your meal will provide you the the sugar you need and help prevent low blood sugar and the wine should relax you and take away the tensions of the day. I'm surprised that your doctor never talked to you about drinking alcohol. Nevertheless, talk with doctor about drinking alcohol to be on the safe side.

I'm 61 years old and I've been drinking wine since I became of age and so far I haven't had any problems. I don't take any medication as my diet and exercise routine work well for me. However, I hate to see the day when I couldn't have my evening glass of wine to unwind with.