So I am type 1 diabetic and I want to go out drinking for New Year's Eve.  Do Type 1 diabetes and alcohol mix?  I didn't know how it could affect me if I drank a few shots tonight and had a glass of wine as well.  I probably won't take my insulin tonight to be on the safe side, so I don't become hypoglycemic.  Are there any other diabetics going out tonight and are you gonna drink anything?  How much are you going to indulge in?

Hello Guest... You want to know if it is safe to go out and drink as a Type 1 diabetic?  This, in fact, is something to consider very seriously.  You cannot drink as you please without dire consequences.  Having too much alcohol can and will cause you to experience hypoglycemia.  You need to eat your dinner as planned for any other day.  You may have a carb unit for the drink you would have later.  You should pick out a drink like low carb beer that you may be able to drink 2 servings of.  This way you can still have your drink but you won't risk going into a low blood sugar. 

How do other diabetics handle their drinking when you go out?  Is there a way you do it without compromising your blood sugars?

I am very wary when I drink anything because I can easily become hyperglycemic. I love wine but it is sweet so I know there are a lot of carbs in it. I have to drink it very slowly and I try to eat chips with it. I sometimes have a shot of Jack Daniels in my diet cola. That one I really have to take it easy on. You can still drink, but you just have to be responsible. You are an adult and no one can make you do anything, but you still need to watch out for yourself. No one else will.