My father has plaque in his arteries. His doctor told him that he will need to change his life style. Also he needs to take medications but still he must stop smoking and begin to eat only healthy food. I heard that exercise can help also. Can exercise help to get rid of plaque in arteries?

Yes, of course! It’s very important to exercise regularly. If he is overweight, he needs to lose weight and he should get 60 to 90 minutes of exercise a day. If he isn’t, then it’s enough to spend 30 minutes every day in exercising. But, before he start with it, maybe it’s better to consult with his doctor.

Hello there amye,

My father is diagnosed with the same condition so I know very well what are you going through right now, and especially if he is stubborn as my father is.

First of all cigarettes are big NO and if he is refusing to stop with this bad and disgusting habit just try to explain to him that smoking will make his condition even worse. Also new diet is difficult as well. My father is hungry all the time so we are constantly arguing about meals.

And I still haven’t managed the exercise part! I hope that I will convince him that it is very important to start losing excessive weight. I wish you better luck with your father.