I would like to know the one thing about schizophrenia disorder? For how long can this disorder last? My father has been diagnosed with it and I cannot say this was much of a surprise, because he has been acting strangely ever since couple of his friends died in car accident. I need to know if he will be his old self after the therapy begins…

I guess that depends on the response on medicaments and psychotherapy (if needed). Usually, the meds used are so called neuroleptic and their effect should be seen after 7 to 14 days of use. If that does not happen, then some new meds are included in therapy, such as clozapine, which has an excellent effect, but its side effects might be very dangerous… So, when the improvement effect is visible, he should start feeling better…

First of all I am so sorry that your father has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Sometimes this can be very difficult condition and your father is going to need not only your support, but support of your whole family so be ready to face some difficult, but yet manageable moments.

If he has started with his medications and therapy you should notice first results in a few weeks. Of course sometimes it is necessary for more time to pass and this depends on the person. We are all different and we react to the same things differently.

Make sure that he is taking his medications and every new change in his behavior mention to his doctor on his regular checkup. Good luck.