Hi, my father has a bipolar disorder. It all came as a surprise to us and just did not know what to do since this is the first time we were ever faced with this kind of condition. He had ups and downs on a daily bases and they were interfering with his life. The doctor prescribed him some medicine but they did not work. He stopped taking them on his own. What can we expect from a bipolar person off medications?

Hi, bipolar disorder is a condition that makes it hard for people that have it to manage normal life problems. Sometimes it can even be dangerous. One day they can feel so depressed that they find it difficult to even get out of the bed. On another they can be superior. Bipolar disorder is a lifelong condition that is hard to be diagnosed. It is good that the doctor you took your father to saw this condition. The therapy must be maintained. Even though the results may not be visible at first, your father should not have stopped taking them on his own. Actually, he should not do anything without consulting the doctor. I advise you to convince him in going back to his therapy and another visit to the doctor is necessary since the therapy cycle has been impacted. If you are unable to convince your father to continue with his therapy, I am sure that a psychiatrist will do a great job in this situation.

hey i'm bipolar and i'm off the meds. too....no need to worry my doctor said since i'm young and i have a small body the only meds that work were the adult dose and it would be an OD if i took them like he told me...for a month or two i was on the meds and i would get up and go to school...but i only lasted an hour before i was falling asleep in my chair....i got my full 8-9 hours of sleep and i need more thanks to the meds...my teachers have been asking me if i'm on different meds and i just smile and said no...they took me off....so it might not be a problem...alot of bipolars do have the ups and downs but its being bipolar most the time i need one of my friends or my boyfriend to talk to me....and alot of the time i'm good when i'm around them...if your dad is doing somewhat better without the meds don't worry but if it is making him worst do go to the doctor....and just why we are talking about bipolar....your dad could have gave it to you (or any of your other siblings if you have them) so go to the doctor and see what they can do for you....