After he struggled for a long time, my ex husband has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia simplex! He has been coping with mental illness for so long, and this is also the reason I left him in the end. My question is what this means for the future, and whether my ex will be able to get on with this life now, alongside good medication?

Most definitely! While many schizophrenia simplex patients do not do well if they stay away from their medication, and often get delusional and even psychotic, they can live normally for years on end, if they don't decide to "self wean" from the medication, which is quite a common event among schizophrenia simplex sufferers.

Hallo,
Schizophrenia simplex is not very common disorder that can have great effects on your life. The problem is that patients with schizophrenia simplex you won’t have delusions and hallucinations so the condition might not be as obvious as schizophrenia. You don’t have to have any symptom of schizophrenia to have this schizophrenia simplex but once it represents itself it can be devastating. It is hard to say but it is not a bad thing that you could not live with your husband any more. He should go to mental institution to receive proper treatment. You might notice significant changes in his personal behaviour, manifest as a marked loss of interest, idleness, and social withdrawal. I hope that this helped.

what kind of BS is that? Simplex imply no "positive" symptoms also all neuroleptic tends to worsen negative symptom with exception for perhaps abilify and low dose amisulpride.