hi i have a 5month old son. he was born with a few complications the one I'm more worried about know is the one with his kidneys. when he was born on 9-9-08 he had a bleeding above his left kidney an blood clots in there also we are not sure what caused it. but today when i took hi m to the kidney doctor they shot this radioactive dye in to him. but when it came back the results. only one kidney came up. three months ago when we were there the bleeding had left or was just so small we cant see it. there was a kidney there 3 months age. now its like the kidney just disappeared. what the hell is going on he my lil boy goint to be ok

Hallo,

It is little strange that he doesn’t have second kidney in the screening test. Have doctors do another one? This could be wrong, but organs don’t just disappear like that. However having one kidney is not too dangerous. There are some limitations but many people have just one kidney and they function normally. There are people who are born with just one kidney, and if I am not mistaking this can happen to one in every 750 babies. In my opinion if he doesn’t have any other complication in life he can grow old as anybody else but he might notice problems considering the urinary tract system. He might not be the all star champion but he will be able to normal things.

Well, I am 21 years old and i was just recently went through pnemounia where they realized I only had 1 kidney. They did 13 different ultra sounds and thought i had to until they did a CT scan and they finaly decided i didnt. It is not uncommon for someone to be born with only one kidney about 1 out every 750 people are. It is more likely for us males to be born with one. There are not many restrictions because the body still functions properly with only one kidney! Some side effects are high blood pressure or protien coming through the urine. these are contolable and dont usually effect the longevity of life but should be monitored. Also the on ekidney typically will grow in size because it is working harder mine is almost twice the size of a normal one. But the key is taking care of his health low sodium intake is good and regulated his blood preasure! and no contact sports when he is older :/ I know it is alot to take in but i wish the best for yall and i will pray for yall

Im 40 and just found out I was born with one kidney. I played football all through high school and never had problems

hi I am 65 and born with one kidney had no problems yet good luck and take care