Hey there. My neighbor has lovely Australia Terrier. He is five years old and he is really nice and playful dog. I was talking to my neighbor about his Alan and he told me that he is very satisfied with his vet but that he is also very sad because his dog has kidney stones.

He told me that he is struggling with this problem very often.

He mentioned that there is a way to prevent this and he is blaming himself because his dog has kidney stones now.

Is there really a chance to prevent it?

How?

How to prevent kidney stones in dogs?

I am a new dog owner and I don’t know a lot about it but I would like to prevent it if I can.

Hey Millie cat,

Before you can think about how to prevent your dog from getting kidney stones, you need to know what are the things that can cause this. And very often, your dog will show no signs that he has kidney stones.

The causes are the following: oversaturation of stone-forming materials in your dog’s urine, increased level of calcium in your dog’s urine and blood, diets that produce high urine pH and urinary tract infections.

Regarding all this, there is not much that you can do to prevent kidney stones from forming. Only a special diet can be effective at preventing these stone formations.

Hey guys,

The thing with these kidney stones is that they can reoccur. If your dog had them once and he threw them out of his system, he is probably going to have them again. So a good thing to prevent this, or to be precise, to be able to treat them right on time, is to take your dog for some routine monitoring. Like once in every three months.

If you think that your dog is predisposed to kidney stones, special foods and dietary management is advised for it can prevent these stones from forming.

The good thing about this is that it is not life threatening.

Hey everybody,

My dog has these kidney stones at the moment. He is a German Sheppard and I noticed that he was in a lot of pain while he was urinating. When I took him to the vet, after some examinations, he told me that my dog has kidney stones.

Luckily, his case isn’t severe. The vet told me that his stones are inactive so I’m treating my dog at home with meds. The worst scenario would be that the stones made the situation pretty nasty and that my dog needs to undergo surgery.

I don’t think that you can really prevent this from happening. If it happens, it happened.

Hello everyone.... 

Dogs usually get kidney stones when their urine has a really high concentration of mineral salts. These mineral salts form this boring stone that can cause a lot of problems for pet and pet owner. Kidney stones may be caused by UTI’s, some kidney infections, medication, diet program and even it can be caused by age.

But you can prevent it on very simple way. You need to make sure that your dog drinks plenty of fresh water each day. You need to know what the proper amount of the water is for every day. You need to make sure that your dog has enough water in is food.

You see, it is all about the water.

Hey guys,

One quick response: you can’t.

You can do what DS991 told you, make your pet drink a lot of fresh water each day. That’s the best suggestion I’ve ever heard when talking about the prevention of kidney stones in dogs. But even then, it doesn’t mean that your dog is totally safe from having these stone formations. 

Why is this thing with water probably the best prevention? Because it is going to make your pet urinate more often. These stones are easily dissolved in the dog’s urine so more urination means more chances for the stones to dissolve. Vets are recommending the same thing.

Hey. Well giving your dog enough amount of the water is just one way to prevent it. I also think that it is the best. But generally you can’t prevent it

But there are so many other ways to try to prevent it, such as foods. The good diet program in the combination with clean, fresh water is great cure.

There is one more way how to prevent it. You should check your dog’s urine all the time. The structure, color, etc. Give your dog plenty of opportunity to pee outside. This will enable toxins of a regular bases. Some breeds are more prone to have kidney stones such as Yorkshire Terriers and Dalmatians, so if you have one – keep an eye on them.

Hey there.

Definitely water and bunch of other things. You can try to give your dog some fresh, citrus juice, such as lemonade. But in a smaller amount. Reduce the slat amount in your dog’s diet program. A low sodium diet is recommended for dogs who have a history of kidney stones. Besides, it is good for your dog’s pressure and heart.
Less animal protein is also recommended.
Rich calcium foods is also recommended.
As you can see there are so many ways to prevent kidney stones in dogs. Usually the best cure is around us – foods and water.
You should try it.
I think that you can prevent it.