Hello everyone. I’m starting to think that I have no luck when it comes to dogs. I always give my best to keep them healthy, I take good care of them, I take them to the vet regularly, but I somehow always end up with a sick dog. :/ I have three dogs now and two of them currently have health problems. My oldest dog has kidney stones. I had no idea, I’ve just found out about it last week by my vet. I was wondering can you recommend me some home remedies that can help me get rid of these stones?

Hello Mia,

I am sorry to hear this. But, please, don’t worry. I am sure that everything will be just fine soon. This is just some freaky period of months, my Boo is sick very often as well.

Literally, thousands of dogs suffer from this disease. Well, they often remain undetected until pain just shows up.

There are some home remedies that are pretty much quality, and those treatments consist of special diet program, fluid therapy, and in the worst case, it can include hospitalization and surgery.

Try this diet program. I know a lot of people who had a luck with diet program when it comes about this issue. 

Don’t worry there.

I am pretty sure that your dog is a fighter, he will be just fine!

First of all, you should know that you should put your dog on the diet program that is high in complex carbos, whole grains, eggs, fruits, cheese, milk, butter, nuts, low fat foods and high – quality proteins.

This food also has to be full of the vitamin C.

It is very important for your dog to drink fresh water.

You see? It can’t be that hard, right?Those are ingredients that you have at your own home.

I hope that your dog will be well soon! 

I love that someone has already started this topic. I received a message from a very good friend of mine saying that her dog has kidney stones. I know a lot about dogs, that's why she turned to me in the first place, but I don't know anything about kidney stones. I really don't want to let her down so I was hoping that you guys could help me with this. All I know is that her dog is a Yorkshire Terrier and that he is something just over a year old. I need you to recommend me some remedies for kidney stones, whether it's to completely heal it or to just make it easier for the dog.

Hi all. 

When it comes to kidney stones in dogs, very often dogs show no signs of having kidney stones. Usually, vet is the one who finds out that your dog has them by doing ESWL procedure, so @ Dalmatian_lover you should ask your friend if she came to that conclusion herself or was it a vet's call. 

If only one kidney has stones, it might be necessary to surgically remove the kidney. On the other hand, if both kidneys are affected, you need a prescription diet from your vet that depends on the type of stones that your dog has. They mostly promote increased thirst to encourage more often urination, so that the stones would dissolve.

Hey there everyone.

Great advice, I have to notice. It should be really helpful to all dog owners.

Now, my dog had problem with his kidneys, actually with kidney stones. I was really surprised, because I didn’t notice any symptoms, and he was not showing any signs of symptoms as well.

When I took him to the vet, he told me that it is serious. He went to the surgery, and he removed one kidney :/

I was so depressed than, but now, my dog is OK, he has quality and nice life like every other dog.

Visit the vet! 

Hello. Do you even know what kind of kidney stone your dog has? I mean, is it one stone, small, bigger one or are there many little stones? Is your dog on some die program currently or not? This is very important for us to know, because only in this way we would be able to help you. Sometimes, surgery is the only option and it is the only way to help dog with kidney stones. But, of course, there are some home remedies that can be helpful. Your dog foods should contain vitamin C , and meat based foods should be your fist option, because it produce more acidic urine. Also, no carbs such as rice and pasta.

Hey everybody,

Regarding whether your dog has stones in both of his kidneys or just in one, there are several things you can do. If he has stones in both kidneys, he needs to go to a surgery to try to get rid of them in that way. If not, you need to follow one of the above suggested diets or you can make one yourself. As rubylock said, the important part is that your dog drinks a lot of liquid daily so that he would urinate a lot.
That is a best one to try to dissolve his stones. The best diet program would probably be the one that is really high in proteins.

Hello there. I’m glad you ask about the home remedies since they’re often more effective then the meds and they usually have less side effects. 

What I know about kidney stones is that they can be very painful, I’m curious to know about the size and the amount of stones your dog has.  

You know what might help ? - Putting your dog on a diet that is high in complex carbohydrates. Here are some foods that you can use: whole grains, fruits, eggs, nuts, butter, cheese, milk, low fat foods and moderate in high-quality proteins (poultry and other white meats).