hi,
I am a male 25 yrs of age..
Recently, after a medical examination where I underwent USG n XUB X-ray, I came to know that I have a single kidney.
I don't have any urine related troubles till today and my blood test revealed that the creatinine level is 1.4 mg/dl (the normal was 0.5-1.5) and urea level 30 (as per their normal range 10-40) ...
I drink around 2 lts of water/day.. physical exercise is not much as I work in IT firm...

I want to know whether I stand any risk as per my current condition as mentioned above..What effect(s) (bad) can one have in married life under such conditions ? Also what are the dos n donts for a person with single kidney ??

thnx !

People with one kidney have no more chance of kidney failure or disease than a person with two kidneys. The only con that I, myself, know of is since you have one kidney, if it fails, you'll have to have a transplant.

One more thing..
In normal case, do both kidneys work,actually ? Some one said to me that ,it is one of the two kidneys tht does the entire job . the other one is just an additional one.
Is it true ?

I have an 18 year old son with a single kidney. The only effects he has noticed are being turned down by the military, as he wanted to join the Coast Guard. I suppose that is understandable with the costs of transplants, if needed.

My wife is 5 months (22 weeks) Pregnant, while her routine Ultrasound we came to know that our to be born child is having cyst in his left Kidney while the Right Kidney is fine. Some doctors also said that the Left Kidney is Polycystic or Dysplastic.

We want to know if our child will live a normal healthy life or will he be have any problem.

Since that is on the high side of normal I would say just watch your diet and keep drinking water. Don't eat high salt foods and pre-packaged foods (as they contain high levels of phosphorus which is hard on kidneys) and keep your weight within normal range. A person can live on one kidney but with your numbers it is good to be on top of things.

My Brother is 41 years old. he recently had an ultrasound and came to know that he is having single kidney since birth. the 2nd Kidney is not grown up after 2.5". He never have any pain or any other issue with his single kidney. We just wanted to ensure that, there is no risk in his normal life due to single kidney. what kind of routine checkups he can have to ensure that everything is under normal conditions. in past he has high Blood pressure problem but that is now under control. he lives in Hilly Area (Shimla) and he is a contractor. he is mostly driving the car in hill area and weekly he is having arround 700km to 1000km drive. he usually do morning walk. he sometime take wine but not in excessive amount. I wanted to know that  what are the things he can take care of. and what are the risks of having single kidney. and what can be the immediate treatment. also can it be possible that the 2nd Kidney can be cured and it improve any way....

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My son was born w a singular kidney. Minimize your soda intake, drink 8-10 glasses of water a day religiously, and stay away from contact sports as much as you can. My son still plays football, but is aware of the risk and uses additional equipment to protect his kidney. Other than that - it's life as you knew it!

Here's some good info:
http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/onekidney.cfm

REASON FOR SINGLE KIDNEY SINCE BIRTH

I born single kidney my creatinine level is 1.5

Sir I born single kidney my creatinine level is 1.5 is any problem