Hi. I`m 19 years old M and have one large kidney only. My mother has told me that I was born with two kidneys joined together. I thought that she was making up, but the story is the same, all the time. Is that possible? Is it a problem, to live with only one kidney?

Hi. Many persons have only one kidney and live a perfectly normal life. There are many causes of the single kidney, for example, one can be removed surgically. Or, if you have one small kidney it may be hard to see it on x-rays and the doc will tell you that you have a single kidney. FInally, two kidneys joined together, yes, it`s possible. Before birth, in the womb, the kidneys form in the lower abdomen and move up. But, if the two kidneys join together, they can`t move up and get stuck in the middle of the way. This is a case of so called horseshoe kidney, because of its shape. You will have a normal life, but if any kidney disease develop in your horseshoe kidney, the treatment will be much more difficult.