I want to shed a few pounds. It is not that I am a too fat. However I could do without a beer belly. I want to start to run to improve my health and lose some fat. I am confused as to what kind of running burns more calories. Do I burn more with easy or tempo runs?

The answer will surprise you. Although some authors would disagree, walking a mile or running a mile will burn approximately the same number of calories! Some claim that faster running boosts the metabolism and you keep burning after your stop running but this remains controversial. The only thing that really speeds up your metabolism and transforms your body into a fat burning machine is interval training. That really works. On the other hand you have to do some activity that can be done for a prolonged period of time and, if possible, every day. Thus you will create the caloric deficit and burn fat. So I would recommend every day slower races that last at least one hour plus fast intervals 2-3 times a week.