I want to improve my fitness and overall health. I also want to shed a few pounds. Some friends suggested that I should engage in some kind of physical activity. Riding a bike seems OK to me. They say that I have to burn some calories. How can I burn calories on bike? Any suggestion is welcome.

Your friends are right. In order to lose fat you either have to burn more calories than you eat or ingest less of them than needed on a daily basis. Either way you have to create a caloric deficit. Riding bike can be a good way to burn more calories. You have to ride at least one hour a day to produce some results. Riding longer can burn even more calories. Also once or twice a week you can do high intensity intervals. They are a good way to boost your metabolism and turn it into fat burning machine.